Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis parent's profits more than treble in 2022

Options
  • 17-02-2023 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭

Bord Gáis and British Gas owner Centrica's profits tripled to a record £3.3 billion last year on soaring energy prices and production, paving the way for a £300m share buy-back.

The company has come under scrutiny after The Times newspaper reported that debt agents working for Centrica's British Gas business had forcibly installed prepayment meters in some vulnerable customers' homes.

After 800 years have we learned nothing.

capitalistic serfdom.

My late grand-father was right, burn everything English other than their coal, or in this case gas.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Grrrrr. And their FOOTBALL teams. And football as a sport. And their LANGUAGE! Grrrrr. And their Times! Burn 'em all, Ted!

BP and energy companies are screwing EVERYONE. It's amoral and, because they are all in cahoots, it's not like you can say "Well, go to another provider". Something needs to be done at a global legislation level (But will not). Companies are supposed to make a profit of course. But this level and the impact it is having on everyone is simply wrong. But to break out the auld 800 years of inflated gas prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Man. My damn kids are costing me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some of us really need to move on from this 800 years nonsense, rent seeking and wealth extraction is a global phenomenon by large businesses/corporations, yes its firmly based in the anglo/american ideologies, but we ve been playing our part by facilitating it also, by maintaining favorable conditions for their operations, lower taxation etc....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What's the alternative? Ireland only saw real growth by embracing free trade and globalisation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Private company makes profit, shocker.

A limited company's aim is solely to make profit for its shareholders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's plenty of Irish companies make good profits from owning and operating businesses in the UK and beyond. CRH, Ryanair, Pennys/Primark, Smurfit Kappa, etc., etc.. Should all these be burned down while we return to Brehon law to spite the Brits?

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

this is a very difficult question to answer, and id say, we actually dont know what to do next, yup, ireland has greatly benefitted from so called free trade(...and id have to agree with chomsky on this one, free trade agreements arent actually so, but are more corporate rights agreements, and this to is also very evident in ireland), and globalisation, but we have also fallen foul to its major failures to, i.e. rapid rising wealth inequality, serious inabilities in provide ourselves with some of our most critical of needs, i.e. adequate housing, health care and environmental needs etc etc. i suspect we re still working on potential alternatives here, but are a bit stumped in coming up with them, i personally like the term 'progressive capitalism', in regards where we should be going to, but it doesnt seem to be catching on.....

...and you d wonder why we re now experiencing what some are calling a 'polycrisis'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

No, I wouldnt. And I've never heard that word until you mentioned it. I watch/listen/read a lot of financial commentators and have yet to see anyone have issue with a limited company achieving profit for its shareholders, or the use of the word polycrisis. (which is red underlined as I type it as a spelling mistake too)

• Advertisement

....so maybe you have surrounded yourself by the same or similar type of thinkers, preventing you from seeing other types of viewpoints, the financial world in particular has this very short term type of thinking deeply imbedded in it, it simply is unable to see the bigger picture, unable to see the damage it is doing to our societies and our planet....

...yes spelling mistakes are common with my learning disability, dyslexia, and i make no apologies for this either!

...respected commentators such as adam tooze have been using the term 'polycrisis' from some time now, and i think it fits very well in our current state of affairs....

Advertisement