Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lung cancer diagnosis

Options
  • 17-02-2023 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this is not the right area to post in.

My mam has been diagnosed with lung cancer, it almost doesn't feel real but the news is starting to sink in now and I am trying to face up to reality. We were told that the next steps will be for her to have a PET scan and a brain scan to determine whether it has spread and what stage its at I think. Then we will have a meeting with an oncologist to discuss treatment plans, we were told it will be either chemotherapy or immunotherapy. Appointment arrived yesterday for the PET scan for two weeks time, in my mind thats too far out and they need to do it sooner so we can get the ball rolling with her treatment. I suppose what I am wondering is if this is a normal period of time to wait between getting the diagnosis and further testing or should I be getting on to the doctors and pushing for a quicker appointment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

That’s ok. 2 weeks time for a scan is fast, and yes, deciding what treatment she will have can take a couple of weeks to fine tailor it to suit your mum. You’re doing everything just fine. Obviously this post is 10 days on from your question, so I hope you’re all doing ok.

I would suggest you give the Irish cancer society a ring - they are a mine of information and may help ease your mind. In the early years of my diagnosis I found them very reassuring and appreciated that they made time to talk to me, let me vent my feelings as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Thank you for your reply. We are doing ok now, it just came as a shock at first so now we have had time to get our heads around it. Scans are this week so understand now that they need to see these first before deciding on the course of treatment - they did say it will either be chemotherapy or immunotherapy.

I will definitely get on to the Irish Cancer Society, their website is fantastic and I think it will definitely help to speak to them

Just a little update here. We met with the oncologist on Monday for the scan results, unfortunately the cancer is advanced and its spread to her lymph nodes and the other lung, the brain scan also showed some abnormalities. So it is not curable but it is treatable.

Chemo + immunotherapy will start later this month, treatment will be given in cycles of 3 months once every 3 weeks. Just hope to god it goes well, everything is happening so fast now in terms of appointments, we have been given dates for each treatment session and we also have the appointment with the oncologist at the end of this first cycle of treatment, I assume my mam will need to get more scans before then to see how well the treatment worked.

I dont know what to be doing with myself like should I live as normal? but I feel bad making plans when my mam has to go through this, its just a horrible situation to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sorry to read this but being honest, thats life.

I have signs of cancer returning for round two so I just live life to the full every day.

One thing I would make sure is that your mum has made a will and if not get it done soonest, unless its a complex estate you don't need a lawyer, plenty templates around, just get it witnessed.

Get it done before she starts too much of the treatment, especially with the indications of it in the brain, which, depending on the rate of development, will lead to loss of cognitive skills.

I had this happen to a good friend recently, from diagnosis to cremation was 11 weeks, the rate of cognitive degradation was scary, her not recognising you will hurt.

Keep strong and enjoy the time thats left with your mum and celebrate her achievements thus far.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Hi homosapien91

It sounds like your mum has a very clear treatment plan, and of course it’s really all about how her body responds to it all. Never underestimate the power of current treatments, new drugs are happening all the time.

Calahonda52 gave some very good advice there, get affairs in order, never a bad idea with an advanced cancer diagnosis.

You asked what to do with yourself - I think you’re already doing good work by being supportive and learning as much as you can about your mum’s diagnosis and what her cancer is all about.

I can only tell you my own opinion from my own story, as I’m not a health professional. I have advanced cancer, breast cancer that has spread to both lungs, and it has been this advanced for 8 years now. The drugs I am on weren’t available 8 years ago, and the longer patients like me are responding well to them means that stats are changing every day.

When I was initially diagnosed (stage 4 from the get go, so never ‘curable’), I found it all very overwhelming, and really appreciated that my sister took it on board to make sure she understood all the new terms and words I had never heard of, and to take care of knowing what I was to do next. My head was all over the place, going from boring normality to chaos. Having her take care of this and generally keeping my life organised helped me get through the first few months without stressing out about life in general.

Write down all your questions (and her questions) and have all your little notes and queries ready for the oncologist at the end of the first cycle.

I think that you are doing great, remember you are not on your own and please do ring the Irish cancer society whenever you feel you need to just talk.

• Advertisement

Thanks both for your advice and for sharing your stories. We are just taking it day by day and spending as much quality time together as we can.

The Irish Cancer Society are really fantastic, they have sent out lots of information on the services they offer and we have a chemo education session with them next week ahead of the treatment starting. The volunteer driver service is a brilliant to have if you need it, I may even volunteer myself if I can - such a small thing but it makes all the difference.

Advertisement