Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Consumer Unit

Options
  • 17-02-2023 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone, we recently got a house in Dublin and have been doing work on it. The previous owner seems to have upgraded a-lot of the wiring from what I can see (its in white sleeving?) but the consumer unit looks dated and full. We're looking to get a new consumer unit fitted along with a charger for an electric car. In all the paperwork for the house we don't have a cert, would we need this for the new consumer unit? Also would anyone have any idea of a rough cost for these two jobs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

Best thing you could do is get a electrician to do a PIR test on the house , that will tell what’s needed to do board change and cert etc

PIR 250-300 ish

would be a good start , where are you based

• Registered Users Posts: 3 samchock

Thanks for the quick reply JL were in Marino. Would the PIR stand in place of the cert? I'm been reading forum entries the last few days and my head is swimming with the fact we dont have one. Was worried it would cause us major issues when funds are already tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

The PIR will give you a idea of what the electrical installation is like ,

After that remedial work may be needed ,

The PIR is not a cert as such ,

To upgrade the fuseboard your electrician will then need to certify all circuits in the house ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 samchock

Great stuff thanks JL

Advertisement