Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary contribution starting date VC1 form, calculations

Options
  • 17-02-2023 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello everyone,

I just downloaded my social insurance record, and as I can see there are some missing contributions in the years. Some only a couple, some more when I changed jobs and took some breaks. As I have the required 520weeks contributions, I am thinking to make the voluntary contributions, and fill out these gaps, however it is not entirely clear, how does it work. Is there any time limit to backdate these extra contributions? 2 years, 5 years or 15 years? And how is that calculated? If a year is missing 10weeks and the other year 5weeks is that the payable contribution for that year? Or every year has a flat rate?

Many thanks if anyone could enlighten me regarding this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Rules

To be eligible to make voluntary contributions you must:

• Have at least 520 PRSI contributions paid under compulsory insurance in either employment or self-employment
    • Apply to make your voluntary contribution within 60 months (5 years) of the end of the last completed tax year (contribution year) during which you last paid compulsory insurance or you were last awarded a credited contribution. (Since February 2017, the time limit for making voluntary contributions was extended from 12 months to 60 months.)
    • Agree to pay voluntary contributions from the start of the contribution week that follows the week in which you leave compulsory insurance

The contribution year is the same as the income tax year so it runs from January to December.

You cannot use contributions paid in Class J to satisfy these conditions. However, you may pay PRSI at Class J and voluntary contributions at the same time. You stop paying voluntary contributions either when you reach 66 years of age or start paying PRSI again.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Many thanks. Yes something similar I found before.

I understand I can apply to make voluntary contributions, given I am within the 60 month of my last paid contribution. However I cant find any information how is this working. Is it like paying a double per week to make up the missing contributions? Cant find anything how is that calculated.

Anyhow thanks for the quick pointer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Advertisement