Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NI Protocol Thread

Options
  • 18-02-2023 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭

A deal on the NI Brexit arrangements is about to be announced. What will be in it and how will it affect us?

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Haven't you been giving the same, 'the end is nigh' prediction since 2016?

Why are you so confident that we're getting thrown under the bus this time, when you've been proven incorrect every other time you've made this prediction?

If you're wrong this time around, will you just shift the goalposts to another future date or would you consider taking a moment of introspect to consider that maybe your own understanding of the situation isn't quite so omnisciently prophetic as you seem to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just reading the headlines in the UK papers on the BBC News app and it's all about Tory rebellions over the deal the PM is going to make on the NI Protocol.

It doesn't sound like Ireland is being thrown under the bus.

You are a broken record OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have a different memory. I remember you being told again and again that the EU would keep talking and keep talking.

That prediction was true.

There is no dimunition of our place in the EU. Rather than talk about percieved gains for the UK and Unionists (who will have to swallow a bitter pill) can you tell us in practical terms how our place is weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not the EU's fault ever

Class: This is what indoctrination looks like. Can't complain or raise any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Did you never read the story of the boy who cried wolf when you were a wee one?

That's you, that is.

I'd say indoctrination looks like steadfastly refusing to budge on one's opinion despite being demonstrably wrong every single time. You disappear for a bit and return with the exact same, 'end is nigh' points, make a show of yourself and disappear back under your bridge until the next time you can wheel out your same old talking points. You're a beaten docket, Kermit.

• Advertisement

Any chance you could lay out how our place has been weakened in real terms, not 'a feeling in me waters' terms?

The EU is still what it was, an imperfect diamond which is still, very much, in our interests to be in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Posters here will tell you nothing has changed, they'll say it's pragmatism and basically you're stupid but don't be fooled. Those same people were saying there would never be a negotiation in the first place. They know themselves but will never acknowledge it. They won't acknowledge that I was right all along either but that's neither here nor there.

Given that you believe that you've been proven right on your years of posting rubbish how the EU would fail the Irish etc here, can you please point out what exactly in the NIP has been changed in these negotiations?

I'll even provide you with a link to the NIP to help you get started: https://commission.europa.eu/strategy-and-policy/relations-non-eu-countries/relations-united-kingdom/eu-uk-withdrawal-agreement/protocol-ireland-and-northern-ireland_en

So you've edited your opening post to remove the anti-EU nonsense. Why? Do you not believe your own guff or did my challenging you to back up your claims scare you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I still can't believe that the EU have entered negotiations without laying down the prerequisite of having the UK withdraw Northern Ireland Protocol Bill.

What kind of amateurs have we leading the EU negotiating team?

Do you actually know what a bill is? Why would or should the EU raise something not yet law in the UK? Even if it was a passed into law, surely the eu wont do or say anything until the uk actually act on it?

It would be amateurish for the EU to start throwing a strop at the moment but your bias won't let you see that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Always the EUs fault for you tho!

On Covid vaccines the EU initial reaction was to go quite hard on UK with potential implications for NI (there was afair some anger with the UK + feelings EU had been edit: scammed over vaccine supplies at the time), you were out of the traps raging over it naturally (just like UK govt.).

(Because I'd actually like a tougher approach to the UK) I asked you before what your take was on the fact that there is a spectrum of opinions across the EU and EU members on how to approach the UK govt., and Irish govt. is very likely one of the main proponents of the quite softly softly + "hands across the water" and "lets all be friends post Brexit" way of dealing with the absolute bunch of snakes running the UK?

How does that compute here?

I got crickets last time I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fair question. But we don't know that it already hasn't been asked and answered in private.

I suspect the Boris interjection has been because word is going on that the NIP Bill will be killed in order to get the agreement over the line.

Seems to me a deal was all but done before Johnson stuck his ore in.

It's about how much ground the EU gives here.

NI cannot remain in the single market and have zero responsibilities whatsoever including accepting EU law.

Unless the EU gives even more the UK govt might need to throw sweeteners to the DUP.

I'm being more validated by the day that the EU should have come down a lot harder on this nonsense much sooner when it was obvious the UK had zero intention in abiding by what they had signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No it shouldn't, because it has to pick it's battles.

A relatively inconsequential (from EU perspective) trade deal with a mid-size mess of a third party nation, is far less important than tackling proto-fascism in member states Poland and Hungary and trying to keep some unity and momentum behind the support for Ukraine.

The EU does not need a revised deal with Britain. Like really it doesn't. If it doesn't get over the line, the only ones who will suffer are the Brits.

I mean yes, the lack of an NI Assembly isn't ideal, but its never exactly been a forum for profound change. No harm to leave it all drift and pin it on the DUP come the delayed election and the Westminster election in 2025.

The EU's line should be, 'take it or leave it, we don't actually give a f***'

At a minimum state aid policy, VAT and other taxation policies returning to Westminster it seems. This has potential competition implications on the island now.

Anyone claiming the EU is not in capitulation mode on a deal it signed and which the other side refused to honour is in complete denial.

If I were the British govt I'd keep going and it seems they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Could be the greatest three card trick ever pulled off by the DUP. Full access to the UK and EU markets with none of the responsibilities. Free to buckineer as they wish to undermine and undercut European competition.

It shows one thing, to get your way you have to be willing to be tough. Walk away at the right times. Something the EU has failed to do.

As Nolan revealed last night, the DUP and ERG are submitting crazy Brysonesque proposals to Sunak still. I don't think the DUP are in any way controlling what is happening. Seems they are reeling about looking for something to cling to TBH and save some face.

mod: I'm going to close this thread as we have two already dscussing Brexit, the NIP & the lack of a functioning assembley in NI. Anyhow, teh original scope of this thread was changed by the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement