Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodland Garden Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Tbh i'd be more thinking of Himalayan varieties in this situation, it's ok to bend the rules a little and the wildlife don't seem to notice the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Yes, that's definitely my concern with Birch. I don't think I'll go with them en masse for that very reason. One or two at further points from all houses should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have a mini-woodland that includes a little group of just 4 hazel trees: about 10 years old and maybe 2.5 meters tall, the space under and between them is already a dappled grove.

Also hazels throw out long straight rods that can be used for many purposes; and they are pretty at all seasons. Even edible nuts, if you're lucky!

The Irish word for hazel "Coll" is the root of the word for a wood "coill" - which reveals that hazel was our mainstay all-purpose tree - it will grow almost anywhere. So if you are going for a group, do consider the hazel.

Advertisement