Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Institute: Gone?

Options
  • 18-02-2023 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Does anyone have any recent dealings with The Bike Institute on Dorset st, Dublin.

It’s not possible to get in contact with anyone there and they are consistently closed.

Another local bike shop seems to think they have gone under.

I’d a bike on order with deposit paid.

Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Jeez the small bike shop scene around Dublin is grim .Funked Up Fixies and another shop gone within a few hundred metres of one another around Liberties area in last couple of years .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

DLB in Dun Laoghaire gone since before Christmas as well.

Retail in general is grim. Hard for local businesses to compete with online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are definitely closed, maybe try and message the FB page as the owner might still check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gnalpp

I left a review (below) on their Google page yesterday regarding my experience. This morning the page has been changed to mark the business as permanently closed. This afternoon my review has been removed.

I tried to be fair in my review, but the action of removing it leaves me with feeling that the owners of The Bike Institute won’t be honouring my order or returning the deposit and don’t want to be perceived in a certain light. Hoping to be proved wrong.

My Review:

When looking to purchase a cargo bike, I was highly recommended The Bike Institute. So I contacted them and they were very helpful in organising my order and taking a booking deposit. The lead time did seem a bit long (seven months), but I was willing to go with it due to the recommendations and the helpfulness.

Fast forward to January 2023. Attempting to speak with anyone, via multiple channels, from ringing, to going to the shop (always closed) is impossible. I began to worry that something was amiss. So today I asked around and was told that seemingly the company has gone bust and disappeared.

I have to assume this is true as l've no other contact or official line to say otherwise. I'm incredibly disappointed by this as I have paid this company a not small deposit, which I am now unlikely to see back. I also need to begin the process of sourcing the bike again.

Be wary, as their social media / website gives no impression that something is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 musicmike123

Not quite the same, but we're in a similar position - we bought a new electric cargo bike from them late last year (thankfully received it before Christmas, less a few extras we had paid for which were delayed) but as part of the deal they agreed to sell on our previous e-bike for a small commission.

We've been trying to contact them for a few weeks to get an update (to no avail) before seeing the shop marked as 'Permanently Closed' on google and coming across this post.

Such a shame as they seemed like a decent crowd but our previous bike is worth a bit of money, and assuming it's still in the shop / unsold, we'd like to get it back.

I've already spoken to the CCPC and CRO, so going to have one more go contacting the shop before seeking more advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's shocking - it's still your bike, no different to if you'd left it in for repair. They should have arranged to return it before shutting down.

OP - could you do a chargeback for your deposit?

PM me. I have additional info that might help in working out where your bike is.

Silly me did a bank transfer. Lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 musicmike123

We went to the shop this morning to see if we could find out any more and/or to try and find our bike. We got lucky and the landlord's friend was there when we went.

The shop is definitely closed and the landlord seems to be starting to refurbish the unit for something totally different.

It looks as though all new stock has gone, but there are some bikes still there - presumably ones in for service, and ours for sale - and I got the impression that the landlord would be trying to make contact with the owners of those bikes.

The people we met were really decent and we got our bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is the sort of carry on that gives small businesses a bad smell. It's understandable that trading conditions might determine that an outlet closes. But the owner has to be aware of the developing situation and to retain sufficient funds to return all customer deposits etc. Leaving the public in a lurch is inexcusable.

• Advertisement

I also attended the store today. Less willing to entertain the return of my deposit. Indicated that when the owner of the store surfaces, they should return my deposit. Which feels unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's not really up to the building landlord to organise the return of your deposit.

How much was it that you paid down? Is it possible that the money has already been paid to the bike manufacturer, and you could possibly get the bike direct from them? What brand was it?

I think you’re probably missing some information / context that I’ve chosen not to share here, as indicated in an earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wonder if some of these shops are too close to other shops and they just aren't busy enough? My local shop is the only one in the immediate area of 60-70k people, they're always busy. Everything from kids bikes to serious race machines. Servicing flat out too but never waiting long.

It's within 20-30 minute drive from Wheelworx and Cycle Superstore too so nothing stopping people going elsewhere but it seems like the one shop is enough for a large area?

Could also be an issue with landlord/rent, energy costs etc.

Just to update. The owner reached out to me and settled up. Very nice individual. Tough circumstances with his business closing. Definitely trying to do the right thing. Hope things work out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really sad to see this and I was extremely surprised to hear of things going south re deposits and bikes.

I bought a couple of bikes in there three or so years ago and they honoured two years of free tune ups on both of them.

Any additional work I had to have done was incredibly cheap and the owner was always really lovely and friendly.

Glad to hear people have started getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Good to update the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair play to the man. That's a happy ending. Of sorts at least. An honourable ending anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Sad to hear about the demise of this shop. I had a mechanical cycling out that way a few years ago and I was walking past the shop carrying my bike. The owner ran after me and brought me into the shop and got me patched up to get me home. Next time I was passing I went in and offered him some money, but he wouldn't take it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's a good bloke. I can understand your frustration at the situation, but it's also not easy folding your business, especially as things would have been tough and stressful for a while leading up to that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If a business goes bust, I'm open to correction but don't the banks appoint a liquidator who decides who gets paid and who doesn't. Often the owner may have no say in the return of deposits/goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,617 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is if someone actually goes in to administration/liquidation. Closing because you realise its not viable but can still settle debts is different, and common.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder how a bike which was left in for a service (or to be sold on consignment) might be treated differently (or not) to a deposit, legally?

a bike left in for service has a clear, defined owner. a deposit is obviously going to be less clear - the depositer might argue it's their money as no services have been provided, but i suspect it's not quite that clear legally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nope that is not the way it works. Assuming there is a large loan and a secured asset, they will appoint a receiver to recover the loan. What happens to what remains is not their concern.

Assuming things are done by the books, when a business goes bust there should be a creditors meeting and at the meeting a liquidator should be appointed. The problem is trying to get a liquidator to act, if there is insufficient assets remaining to pay the liquidator, no one will be willing to accept the appointment. In reality no one is going to want to spend additional money to go through a liquidation as the chances of being able to recover anything is low, so the company will eventually just be struck off.

It's very straight forward, when you leave a bike in for servicing you retain title of the bike, so you are fully justified in recovering it. When you pay a deposit you don't obtain title in anything, you are just an ordinary creditor like all other in that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

From a 2 min check The Bike Institute is a registered business name but they is no company registered in that name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect things get complicated if the bike is assumed to be part of stock and 'disposed' of before the real owner appears?

Not really as there is usually an advertised date by which all claims must be completed. But I very much doubt that any bike shop would have sufficient funds at point of liquidation to pay for all of this. More likely: owner shuts shop and walks away, fails to pay landlord and landlord orders skip to clear out premises and company is eventually struck off.

Of course if you were willing to put up the money for solicitors etc... it could be different, but most people won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Bit late now but always pay deposits and upfront membership subs by credit card. That way you can initiate a chargeback. Got stung myself a few years back.

Advertisement