Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGFA welcome Transgender players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

As a general rule of thumb I have no issues with men being involved in any area or level of the the LGFA. However, their general attitude, behaviour and conduct will impact on how positive or negative their involvement is.

I'll clarify my position just so we are clear, I don't think a man should have the authority to tell women what she can and can't do with her body. I respect a women's right to bodily automny and I respect their right to make a decision on what is best for their own health and safety. The LGFA made the decision to allow transgirls and women participate in the sport, I am not going to tell women that it's now unsafe for them to play LGFA, that's there decision to make and its up to women yo make a determination about their own health and safety. You seem to think differently though.

But as you have said, youbsre involved in ladies football so you do have the inside scope. A few questions for you,

I assume you are now stepping away from all your coaching duties and involvement with the LGFA? Also, what % of ladies have declared they'll now be stepping away from the sport due to this trans policy? I guessing it must be around 90% going by your posts.

The first line of the piece isn't a quote. It's the interpretation the writer of the article has made. When the player referred to parents as well led me to think. But as I said, I could eb wrong. But I'm sure we can both agree that the GAA being an inclusive organisation is fairly comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think the association that they pay membership to become a member of should have asked them , before they passed the decision...

The association didnt allow the ladies i coach make a decision on their own health and safety......

On here ,Im not speaking for any girl that i have coached, im speaking for me.... MY opinion.

"Also, since you're involved in both so indepthly, you should easily be able to provide a source that says camoige is much bigger than ladies football. Still waiting on that one."

As i said before, I did not say Camogie was bigger - i said that my personal viewpoint, from experience that the LGFA were the least well run out of the 3 organisations - You countered by saying the LGFA had more members , without providing any evidence ..

Keep clutching though.🙄

Can you tell me why the IRFU, FINA, and the UCI (to name just a few) wont allow transgender competitors in female events ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

There are allowing the ladies to make a decision o their own health and safety though. No one is forcing them to continue playing, if they deem the health and safety risk to be too significant they can take up another sport. Other alternatives could be not playing in a match against a team with a trans person etc.

Wiki puts the numbers play camogie worldwide at 100,000.

The LGFA had nearly 200,000 members by 2020.

I can't, I wasn't part of the decision making process for those organisations.

But, I can provide some information on what I woud deem relevant or important when deciding a sporting organisations transpolicy.

What are the sporting objectives of the organisation? Are they trying to produce elite athletes to compete, and win, at an international level? Do most mainly participate for social, health benefits etc?Is there a professional arm of the sport? Is there a pathway to significant financial gain to be had? How many trans people are likely be participate in the sport? What is the level of physical contact involved in the sport? Full contact? how important is the concept of being inclusive to the organisation? Do we want tranphobes in the organisation(coaches, volunteers, other parents etc)? Do we want peolle who are prejudice against trans people etc?

At the end of the day, every organisation will place a different priority on all of the above and sufficient research and knowledge will also play a big part of deciding what the most appropriate trans policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

"I am not going to tell women that it's now unsafe for them to play LGFA, that's there decision to make and its up to women yo make a determination about their own health and safety. You seem to think differently though."

Hate to break it to you, 12yo to 18yo are NOT women, they're girls. Someone in the LGFA are going on a solo run on this by passing a rule without consultation with all members of the organisation - as stated by Danielle Loughrey clearly in her interview linked to earlier in this thread:

“There was absolutely no consultation process from what I can see was carried out with county boards, clubs and players.

“If there had been then the LGFA would have known about the level of unease felt by everyone on this issue.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Men aren't allowed to have an opinion on men playing women's sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

My sister told me she doesn't think it is right that they are allowed to play in womens matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Did you actually read the article?. She said she isn't in favour of the ruling and it could cause long term damage to the LGFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

You can just say woman. We’ll know what it means.

I know there girls. But they can still make a determination on their own health and safety or else their parent(s) will. Either way, they won't be forced into playing LGFA against there will.

And fair play to Dainelle for doing a survey of the nearly 200k members herself finding that they all feel a level of unease. Trojan work on her part.

I did read the article. In the article it specially references the 12-15 age bracket, uses the word children numerous times. Dainelle herself repeatedly uses the word girls, never women, and talks about how parent are concerned. Then she says transgender people are welcome at all other "levels". I mentioned before I have ever hear term used in a context like this to mean age levels. But I did also say I could well be mistaken on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

"Dainelle herself repeatedly uses the word girls, never women"

Ah here now, do you ever listen to post-match interviews of a team captain on the Radio/TV in the Senior All-Ireland series?

"Our boys gave it all out there today, we left nothing on the field"

"All our girls battled hard to the end, we never took our foot off the pedal"

Adult men and women will refer to their team mates as boys and girls and rarely as men and women. It's the type of language used, especially here in Ireland and in the GAA/Gaelic sphere of sports.

You certainly won't hear them say "all the cis-men/women battled hard there today and never gave up"

Go on up the garden would ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are no “ trans experts “

only ideologues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Do we want Transphobes in organisation........what bull ......so anyone who thinks a man is a man no matter what dress or lipstick they put on are being made feel there wrong ......... Wear a dress , lipstick , high heels, call yourself whatever but don't expect us normal people to leave a man into a teen girls changing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fairly standard far right tactic, one that helped to bring Brexit into life

Isn’t it funny how you have to twist the scenario and make it sound like old men will be playing with teenage girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

Has it not happened already. Someone post up that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

What age band rules prevent teenage girls playing at any adult level?

Funny how @davidx40 didnt mention adult level. I guess teen girls changing rooms has much more “riling up” impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement

"I'll clarify my position just so we are clear, I don't think a man should have the authority to tell women what she can and can't do with her body. I respect a women's right to bodily automny and I respect their right to make a decision on what is best for their own health and safety."

Lad , thats mad .............. Your grasp of what is being said is not the best i think

WTF has that got to do with what we are saying here?? It seems you are on some crusade to paint it as , us that dont agree with you are denying someones human rights ... You seem to have a big problem with men having an opinion on this

Has there been one MALE on here that has denounced anyones right to transgender?? NO THEY DIDNT...

I dont know what you have been reading on here, or what you want to see when you are reading... BUT NOT 1 PERSON on here has said anything contradictory to what you posted?? (in bold above)

The problem that some parents, and some players and some coaches will have is what been discussed here.

Transgender women have no place on the field of play in a Ladies Gaelic Football match, or Camogie, or soccer, cycling , swimming etc etc....

Thats it. Thats the point.. No place. Ask FINA, UCI, IRFU, FAI etc etc

But i suppose im male, wtf would i know.....

Once a girl is 17, shes then second year Minor, and then can play for Adult teams (junior/intermediate/senior)

Hardly bull. You'd be exactly the type of person any inclusive organisation woukdnt want to have.

No, it’s a WOKE Bingo. Don’t forget the important bit.

A reply from the LGFA :

"We acknowledge receipt of your email. The LGFA, as a diverse and inclusive organisation, has given significant consideration to introducing a Transgender Policy, on the request of our units. This process ensured that the LGFA complies with all of its legal obligations under European and Irish law, in particular, the Equal Status Acts and the Gender Recognition Act 2015.

In its consultation process, the LGFA considered its legal obligations and its aims and objectives as set out in the Official Guide, in the development of this policy, whilst also taking into account international best practice, including the current positions of international team sports, amateur and professional.

The policy was put before the LGFA's Central Council last week, the supreme governing body of the association, with over 80 attendees present. The policy was debated and ultimately adopted with overwhelming approval.

Transgender women who wish to play Ladies Gaelic Football are now required to undergo a thorough and comprehensive application process. Furthermore, the LGFA is acutely aware that this area continues to rapidly evolve and undertakes to review this policy on an ongoing basis."

Regards,

But, With NO imput from players ..

You seem to be really struggling to grasp it. Let's try again. This time, we'll just focus on the topic at hand. That might help you. Transgender do have a place on the field of ladies gaelic football field. Hence the reason they are allowed because the LGFA have said so. How can you not grasp that?

You obviously don't like that fact, tough. Get over it. As I sadlid, I'm sure you've handed in your notice as a ladies football coach and will never be involved in the sport again, everyone's a winner etc.

You arent come across as a very rational , logical person in this.

Have you a problem with men , in general?

From the same person who pointed out girls aren't women to me this is a funny post, haha.

• Advertisement

"It’s hard to see the rational basis for these concerns when they’ve never restricted players by size or weight or strength before."

Really?

How other sports have been dealing with the transgender question

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-40937567.html

The IRFU's decision to ban transgender women from contact rugby has brought a spotlight on the rest of Irish sport to update their own policies

RUGBY -

"The IRFU references ‘recent peer-reviewed research’ which it says ‘provides evidence that there are physical differences between those people whose sex was assigned as male and those as female at birth, and advantages in strength, stamina and physique brought about by male puberty (which) are significant and retained even after testosterone suppression’. The English RFU recently

decided to no longer allow transgender women compete in female contact leagues. Sporting organisations, to one extent or another, have been considering their position in the area and formulating a position for several years."

SWIMMING -

FINA, swimming’s world governing body, has a policy which states transgender women can only compete in women’s competitions if ‘they can establish to FINA’s comfortable satisfaction that they have not experienced any part of male puberty beyond Tanner Stage 2 (of puberty) or before age 12, whichever is later’.

CYCLING -

Cycling’s governing body, UCI, has updated its rules and brought in stricter eligibility criteria including lowering the maximum plasma testosterone level permitted for transgender female athletes.

Yeh so size or weight doesnt matter ??

Transgender inclusion in Women’s Sport – July 2022 - Women In Sport

https://womeninsport.org/statement/transgender-inclusion-in-womens-sport-july-2022/

In September 2021, Women in Sport, issued a response to the Sports Councils’ extensive study into the issue of trans inclusion in sport. This high-quality report included a comprehensive review of the scientific literature by an expert sports medic. It concluded that the inclusion of trans women in female categories in most sports could not …

"It concluded that the inclusion of trans women in female categories in most sports could not be balanced with fairness, and in some sports, safety. "

On average, compared to age-matched females at any given body weight, adult males have:

• ⚬ 40- 50% greater upper limb strength
    • ⚬ 20-40% greater lower limb strength
    • ⚬ 12kg more skeletal muscle mass 

At full growth females are an average of 5-6 inches shorter than males. NHS 2018 states average young adult heights in England as:

• ⚬ Female 5ft 4 1/2 inches
    • ⚬ Male 5ft 10 inches
    • ⚬ 50% of males are taller than some 97% of females [when plotted across population]

NO, NO they dont according to these organisations, and the LGFA will see sense when the players let them know.

"You obviously don't like that fact, tough. Get over it. As I sadlid, I'm sure you've handed in your notice as a ladies football coach and will never be involved in the sport again, everyone's a winner etc."

You are a childish person, making irrelevant childish posts. 🙄

Do you have any connections to sport yourself?

Any daughter playing sport?

Advertisement