Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

223 ammo?

• 18-02-2023 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

hi folks,need some opinions,(will prob get different ones,but here goes)about to pick up a Savage 12 BTCSS Laminate Thumbhole Stainless .223 9 twist rate.its a fairly new gun,with a bushnell banner 6-18x50, will be used for long range shots 200 yds plus on bunnies,fox etc,

I know not every rifle will like the same rounds,so to start i would get maybe 3 boxes of different ones to try out,but with so many available,im stumped,so asking on here what would be your first 3 boxes of choice to try out,accuracy is important,price per box is not,would be wanting head shots at 200-250 ish yrds,i would imagine 223 capable of that?thanks folks

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Definitely get a box of fiocchi epn will run you around 50-55e for a box of 50.I use these in a 1-10 twist rifle and the do me fine for fox and corvids.In saying that I'm not head shooting rabbits at 200yrds I'm aiming on the body and that seems fine.Last I checked at 200yrd they were doing maybe 2inch group,but that's up the bog on my belly with just a bipod and no letting rifle cool down.Probably could do better with someone else and a higher mag scope.Also American eagle hp were great as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

She'll run 53 to 55gr Hornady really well. The 1:9 will ideally suit 60 to 64 gr stuff but the options in that grain are limited. It's either cheap HP stuff that may not run well or expensive stuff that are "heavy" and have a greater drop than 53/55gr stuff.

Don't make the mistake of going over 69gr. Some rifles will run the 75gr stuff but it's ideally suited to faster twist rates such as 1:8 or 1:7.5-1:7.

Oddly enough I've ran 40gr stuff when I had a 1:9 and they were like lasers, but hard to find them well stocked anywhere so I stuck with the Hornady in 53gr v-max.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

THANKS,ILL START THERE SO ILL GET A BOX OF 53 AND 55 AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Advertisement