Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper look-up

Options
  • 18-02-2023 4:21pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doing a free search of the newspapers at FMP I've found what looks like a death notice for William John, son of Urquhart Thompson in the Limerick Chronicle of Mar 8th 1845. I wonder could someone with relevant access check it for me?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

That's all the information I see there Hermy. Just says 'William John, son of Mr. Urquhart Thompson'. Hope this appears ok or someone else might do a better job of posting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That’s great thanks Jelly.

Only born the previous year poor chap so perhaps that’s the reason for the minimal notice.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Poor lad, didn't get a chance. So many of these sad losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I tried Irish Newspaper Archive without success

"Found 0 result(s) for exact word or phrase: 'William John, son of Urquhart Thompson' in 'Freemans Journal 1763-1924' and 'Limerick Chronicle 1994-2001' publications and from date '1845-01-01' and to date '1846-01-01'."

and

no finds on newspapers.com either, lots of Aberdeen Urquharts though (Ive a freeby access to it this weekend)

Thanks Mick - I have access to the Irish News Archive but there's a gaping hole in the Limerick Chronicle between 1831 and 1994.

And yes, the Thomson family roots are in Aberdeen - Urquhart's father, also Urquhart (my g-g-g-g-grandfather), was born in Tough in 1764.

He married Frances Geale in Dublin in 1803 and died in 1824.

Interestingly, Frances' grandfather Benjamin Geale was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1764/5 and her brother Pier's granddaughter Kathleen Emily married Arthur Wellesley (4th Duke of Wellington, whose grandfather and namesake is the more famous 1st Duke).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I find the Limerick Local Studies obituary section a good plug for the gap in the Limerick Chronicle. But having Limerick ancestors, I'd really love if someone would digitise it fully.

https://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromtheLimerickChronicle/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Could anyone check the Irish News Archive to see if a 1913 Dublin death is mentioned please?

(Don't currently have a sub). Thanks.

I can do that tomorrow if you want to post or message details.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Person is Anthony Joseph Fellowes, born Rathmines 17th. Jan 1913, died Rathmines 2nd Jul 1913.

I'm trying to find where he was buried. No luck in Deansgrange, Glasnevin or Mount Jerome. Other family deaths around the time is usually Glasnevin - later the family used MJ, which makes sense as Catholics started to use there in mid 1920's.

Thanks for this.

Sorry BowWow - I'm not having any luck with that one.

In my experience people don't always post death notices for infants.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Have you checked all records for family plots? I found a previously unknown baby in a family grave in MJ, it was quite a surprise. MJ had him in their records but he wasn't listed on the gravestone.

Yes.

Deansgrange - No family graves till the 1940's. I have gone through the register for 1913, no joy.

Mount Jerome - No family graves till the 1920's. I have gone through the register for 1913 in Pearse Street. Interestingly I found that the microfische pages are not always in sequence, so I did a line-by-line for the year. (Seeing double by the end of that)!

Glasnevin - I have purchased full records of all the family plots there. Whilst I couldn't look at the register myself, a very helpful staff member has assured me there is nothing for "Fellowes" or a mispelling of it around the time frame.

Have you exact address in Rathmines? Ahh, I see it was 126 Upper Rathmines. PM sent.

Post edited by Jellybaby_1 on

Advertisement