Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring & Plumbing Costs at Present?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

OK, another job that is going ahead by someone else I know. An extension 80,000! 2640 euro per sqm

This doesn't include kitchen furniture of course. This is this week.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I would be waiting prices will drop by at least 10% by this time next year. The construction lads will actually have to compete for work again.

What I am trying to say is when estate agent selling you potential 🤣, it is your money he is talking about and this should be reflected in the sale price.

I hate when estate agents selling potential, opportunity with 4 walls, hello who will pay for all that potential. Or no driveway but planning permission expired for a driveway yet some house in good area but no driveway and nowhere to park on the road and you pay top dollar for it 😂

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

We bought a 45 year old bungalow 6 years ago which needed extensive modernisation inside and out which is still ongoing.

To date i have spent approx 30k in renovations.

Fortunately i have been able to save quite a bit of money by doing a lot of the stuff myself as a keen DIYer with the exception of the more complex electrical and carpentry works.

Due to budget constraints, i have been doing this piecemeal over the last 6 years and i still have a long way to go but i dont mind.

A house refurbishment is an ongoing process and when you think you have finished evrything, the cycle starts again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the war in ukraine comes to an end, europe and america will pour money into the place to rebuild it. if this happens, you won't see tradesmen for dust.

• Advertisement

Some will some wont, anyone with a family wont why would you bring your kids to such a place? Anyone young free and single may go over. We are now seeing an over 20% reduction in people getting work done in things like extensions in the last 2 years and this will continue with interest rates rising. Also there is a big if and when about the war as it looks like neither side is going to concede any time soon.

Living the life

Raw materials have all dropped over the last 6 months with the exception of plywood

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Was there not a recent announcement of rise on concrete and block prices. 10% rise from March

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Plenty of people will do Mon-Fri work and fly home at the weekend if the money is good. Builders and trades people are in short supply in all developed countries and there's always somewhere booming. If building contracts here the builders will move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

We have just bought an old house - it's 160sq m. Just got a quote for complete rewire for 22k. Waiting on a second quote as well as a couple of plumbers to quote us for changing boiler and adding an ensuite and downstairs WC. Will post when I get any other quotes.

Edited to add we're in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are you in the trade?

Some items have dropped marginally, but many many more haven't dropped a bit or are in fact increasing in price still. Cement being the big one. Diesel and energy hasn't really dropped to the point where it has been passed on and its likely to remain steady rather than drop.

Tradesmen are very difficult to get and more difficult to pay for their time.

I am not saying things won't be cheaper this time next year, but it's just as likely that they wont be as will be.

Housing is a mess - they literally aren't building enough to keep up with a rising population and until that equation goes more in favour of house building then not much will change.

Higher interest rates make it more expensie for developers to finance as well, its not just something that effects the buyers.

I've yet to see build costs come down significantly since the turn of the year (based on conversations with QS') with labour still very hard to come by

Locally there's planning for approximately 170 units in two estates for the past 3 years or so, none of them have started yet. The council have a bank of land bought for the past 4 years or so, with 90 houses "planned" but not a tap done yet.

Single housesv are very very difficult to get planning for and more difficult to finance. None of this is getting any easier.

As fas as the OP is concerned, its expensive to get any work done. Gamble to next year but it is a gamble

Well I see it more of an inevitability as I say construction output down over 20% in 2 years and with that stat includes the fact that new house builds are up so its the other areas like extensions that are seeing the drop off in output. People cannot afford the prices and wages are not going up anywhere near fast enough. Construction costs were first out of the block to balloon up well before food, energy and interest rates and well before the war in Ukraine now prices on food and energy are ticking up big style. Unfortunately as other areas of spend increase it means less to spend on big ticket items it has also put the kybosh on lending for an extension as the rates are a lot higher and we could see another 3/4 even 5 more rate hikes by the end of the year. Also on the flip side wages are coming no where near bridging the gap of day to day spend from say 2019/2020 to today and will take well over a decade to catch up if prices don't drop. So it will be a case of construction cost dropping or construction companies hitting the wall. Maybe they will all head to the Ukraine when the war ends but when will that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Have an offer on a house that will need a full rewire and replumb. 105sqm. I want to move the old fuse board location out of the garage into the house. From researching the web, have assumed 15k.

The current heating system is oil which I’ll want changed to gas. So need a new boiler, 10 rads, tank is old and then I’ll need to bring gas in from the road. Checked the gas website and there’s gas within 15m of the house and they said the cost to connect would only be 250 - is that right? Does that include road closure costs, path and road remediation etc? If that’s the case, I’ve assumed another 15k for that as well.

Am I out to lunch with these estimates? Obviously will get quotes in once the offer is accepted but need high level costs now so I can get my head around total costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I changed from oil to gas about 8 years ago. The 250 covered the footpath works, installation of meter and pipe, and remediation of the path at my front door (they mounted the meter box there, only place available as it has to be accessible to meter readers without the owner being present)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Ok grand. So essentially aside from the 250, only costs are then on the internals - everything outside the footprint of the building is covered?

Yes, anything from the meter box outwards is covered, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'd definitely check aroudb before committing in, from what I've been seeing prices for wiring and plumbing jobs has gone up by multiples from only 12-18 months ago - what was 40k in 2021 could be over 100k now type of stuff (but don't take my word as gospel at all - I'm house hunting so trying to factor that into the cost of any purchase if it needs doing).

If you're in Dublin I've had it recommended to try crowds from outside that can drive in, or in an extreme even all the way out west and letting then use your house as accommodation if you have somewhere you can stay in the interim and if they're OK with that.

The biggest issue though, is availability. In Dublin at least it is insane. The mother's gas boiler broke down last year, and it took about 6-7 months to get someone out to replace it. A full rewire could be a lot longer (though who knows, it could also be a lot shorter if its a preferential job for them, e.g. bigger job and thus more pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

We got a rewire done on a 100sqm Dublin 1940s house in 2020, I believe €5.6k cash in hand. I can easily imagine that's doubled by now the way things are going. Replumbing I don't really see the necessity if there's no leaks and you don't have gunbarrel piping, but it certainly makes sense to do both at the same time if it needs doing.

To the poster above, yeah it's shocking trying to get tradies at the moment but 6-7 months to get a boiler replaced? That doesn't really make sense. I unfortunately know all about it because my boiler died over the weekend and my plumber will be replacing it tomorrow, so that's a 3-4 day turnaround. Even if you don't know someone in the trade, there are long lists of RGIs available online and you just have to call people until you get someone, certainly a better option than waiting 7 months in a house that's essentially unliveable.

I agree I had some rewiring done and had 4/5 lads out looking and quoting within a week. Maybe the poster was not really trying lots of sites with lists of tradesmen to do work for you.

• Advertisement

Summer before last, I contacted four electricians for a domestic rewire; two decided to show up and only one provided a quote, which was eye wateringly high.

The chap who showed up and didn't quote told me he'd only take the job on if I emptied the house first. As in completely bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Polka Dots

If anyone has a recommendation for an electrician who has done a good job at re-wiring their home, could you please DM me their details. I’m living in North Dublin. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Big difference between finding one in a directory and actually getting them to firstly call out, and secondly give you a quote than is anything other than a pfo unless you have deep pockets quote.

Had a job done there using my above search had 3 people come out (I could of asked more) 2 quoted and I went for the lower cost but it was expensive to my mind. Things are starting to ease according to the lad who was doing the job and he said he is not as busy as this time last year in his words people cannot afford the price points as access to cheap loans are more or less gone for the bog average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I got some "plumbers" and "electricians" to come out using bark. Not one of them was a real plumber or electrician and one of them even nearly attacked me for wasting his time and even got on to me later to tell bark that I had made a mistake with my request and it wasnt his fault.

Well my experience was different like all kinds of services some times you can just be unlucky

Advertisement