Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many houses for sale in same estate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It depends on the demographic of the estate. If it's an older one, you could have people selling to downsize. If it's a newer estate, people might have used it as a stepping stone & are now upgrading while prices are high & they can get a good return. I saw it in my estate that once one or two houses sold, a lot of others saw what they went for & there was a bit of a rush on selling because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Lots of houses for sale in my estate in Dublin 9 at the moment. Probably looks bad but it's a lovely estate and was originally built in the late 50's early 60's. As a result, a lot of original occupiers are passing away or downsizing and houses are going up for sale. Perfectly innocent explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I wouldn't leave it to chance.

Google the estate for new articles of trouble.

Do frequent drive bys

Go see one or two of the house, check out all the adds for all of them.

Do they look like ex rentals aka landlords getting out of letting - That's ok nothing for you to worry about, so long as the council isn't buying them and using the estate as a dumping ground. Families leaving the estate - something is going on.

Get on local are face book groups and search for mention of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Asd a memeber of that avalanche I can tell you that at least for me, ive never been so relieved to be in an avalanche :)

You have described our situation. Fortunately for us our last tenants decided to leave the country so we didnt have to give a notice of termination. Mind was made up to sell once and for all when the eviction ban came in though. All roads lead to dark places for landlords now. Better out than in.

• Advertisement

But to get back to the OP. The place where we lived before we bought our current house went a similar way.

Usually there were hardly any houses for sale and then all of a sudden 8 of them in one week, followed each week by more.

The cause was that there was one family moved into an apartment by the council who were absolute scum bags. Terrorized the whole neighborhood for about a year. After the AGM (which was dominated by complaints about this family and requests to have them moved on) it became clear that there already were several attemps to move them on and complain to the council. All met with "GDRP ... get lost" from the council. So at that point reality set in and within 2 weeks of that AGM properties started going up for sale. Including ours.

The latest ive heard from friends still living there is that it has gotten worse. Council or charities bought most of the properties. The same family are still there terrorizing the place still. There was even a story a few months ago about one of them in the papers.

That was a lovely place to live before that happened.

Not saying the place you are looking at is the same but I personally after my experience would avoid, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Advertisement