Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling with a non family member teenager to Spain

• 19-02-2023 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Hello

We are traveling to Spain and our son's best friend is coming with us. They are both 13 and wondering if we need anything from his parents to show he is allowed to be with us when entering and exiting Spain.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

You'll be fine as the teenager is accompanied by an adult. There's procedures with airlines for unaccompanied minors aged 12-16 but this doesn't apply in your case.

Theres no rule that a child has to be travelling with their parents, just that they're travelling with a responsible adult.

Children travel with adults of a different surname the whole time, perhaps with their mother who's using her maiden name. Perhaps an aunt, uncle, their child and a cousin. School teachers travelling with students or scout leaders travelling with scouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

There is useful information on the Citizens Information site below, plus links to forms etc.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_with_children.html

Bring proof of consent to travel from the teen's parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thank you and I saw that but the info is not that reassuring!

"If you are travelling with someone else’s child or with a child with a different surname, you may have to explain the relationship between you and the child to immigration officers in the country you are travelling to."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would jolly well hope you are asked to explain the relationship! You cannot just traffic other people's kids out of the country on a whim.

I understand that's not your situation OP, but can you see WHY you should have:

1) written permission from both parents

2) the kid willing and able to clearly understand how to explain the relationships and purpose of the trip

3) parents available on the phone at while you are going thru the airport, to answer any questions which might arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Absolutely. A friend was stopped from returning with her nephew and niece at Tenerife airport as they had no written authorisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Definitely bring a letter of consent along with copies of the parent’s ID (to verify signature). I don’t share a surname with my child and am always asked coming back into Dublin to prove that I’m his parent, he’s 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Consent letter may never be looked for but wouldn't attempt to travel without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm from Wales, was taking a regular trip over to see family and took my 6yr old daughter, she has a different surname to me as wife kept her surname.

Stopped in Holyhead, asked to see ID, showed him both passports, told him she was my daughter.

Immigration Guy : "Is this your Daddy?"

Aoife : "No"

Ffs, didn't know wether to laugh or cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

On trip I was stopped at Dublin airport with 2 kids with passports in fathers surname , both teens. My passport was in maiden name we were asked our relationship to each other and all answered then asked if the father of the kids was travelling today to which we said yes, he was in another queue & we had to wait for him to come over to our queue as surnames differed. It all depends who you meet on the day. Had done this trip many times and never an issue before or never since.

Advertisement