Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove grass or blend it up while re-levelling?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello all,

We have recently moved to a new build and have a rear garden that is at the crest of a hill.

It is slightly sloping down at the left and right sides, at the extremities of the garden. Just enough to notice.

The grass is very patchy so I want to do some levelling of the garden and re-sow the grass. Perhaps adding some topsoil.

My question is, do I need to remove the existing grass or can I just mix it into the soil as I go? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Congratulations on your new house.

My suggestion would be to focus on appropriate drainage. This combined with adequate soil depth are probably two of the biggest factors for a successful lawn.

A perfectly flat lawn with poor drainage will have water pooling through winter and wet periods. Also just adding topsoil without addressing drainage may result in those areas becoming boggy. Many new builds have terrible amounts of builders' rubble underneath a thin layer of soil.

Sound groundwork will make a world of a difference to a nice lawn.

(If a nice lawn is what you're after! More nature friendly lawns are de rigueur these days so you might consider a clover lawn or wildflower meadow instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

second what was said above in re the drainage. But re your question no need to remove grass, it will either die and enrich the soil or regrow if not burried deep

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Thanks for the input. I've abandoned the extra top soil and levelling. I'm just going to work with the slope that I have.

That's a good shout for the wildflowers. The centre of the garden has patchy grass growth so I think the wildflower could compete there. Might make a meadow island in the centre.

Then I can just add soil to border flower beds at sides of garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

That is probably best decision financially and biodiversity wise :)

Here is good read on sowing native wildflowers https://www.growitbio.com/post/irish-native-wildflowers-area-preparation-sowing-and-maintenance

Advertisement