Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root canal pain

Options
  • 20-02-2023 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I've recently (5 days ago) had a root canal and crown work done on a molar and am wondering what other people's experiences have been with pain following the procedure. It's currently requiring ibuprofen to control the pain which is stopping me sleeping and is exacerbated with any pressure at all on the tooth.

A search on Google says that pain should be gone after 72 hours. I last had a root canal about 12 years ago and whilst it seemed fine in the days after having the procedure, there was quite a lot of pain for a week or so after that before settling down and no issues since.

Is this common - e.g. inflammation and pain after the 72 hours - or should I contact the dentist?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If its still ongoing i would contact the surgery and let them know whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goolly

If you are experiencing pain after a root canal procedure, there are a few things you can do to manage the discomfort:

Take pain medication: Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help alleviate discomfort. Follow the recommended dosage on the label or as directed by your dentist.

Apply ice: Applying an ice pack to the affected area can help reduce swelling and ease the pain.

Avoid chewing on the affected tooth: Try to avoid chewing on the tooth that has had the root canal treatment, especially if it is still sensitive.

Rest: Getting enough rest and sleep can help your body heal and recover.

Contact your dentist: If the pain persists or becomes severe, contact your dentist. They may be able to prescribe stronger pain medication or recommend other treatment options.

It is important to remember that some discomfort after a root canal procedure is normal and should subside in a few days. However, if the pain continues or gets worse, it may indicate a complication or infection, and you should seek medical attention right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Advertisement