Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy v Ireland Build Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Definitely, I'd say if we're ahead by say only 10 points with 20 mins to go, we'll easily finish 30 points ahead.

Complete agreement on the back row. I don't like shifting Doris to 6, he doesn't get as much ball in hand there and that's the best part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Not sure that's true, Conan plays the wide role that POM would play when he's at 8. I'd say Conan is better off the base so that's why he's at 8. I'd imagine Dorris will be doing the same role other than at the scrum.

Yeah fair enough, Conan does generally play in those wide channels when I think of it. Will be interesting to keep an eye on this weekend, and to see if Doris is as central and effective as he's been the past two rounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Byrne didn't play v South Africa. I take it you meant the Wales match.

Pretty sure he means Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed, conan will pretty much directly take up POMs role in open play and is also that extra line out option in his stead as well.

it will be interesting to see what happens if POM comes on for Doris, and how then bouthConan and POM separate their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He has passed a lot of tests in his career from under a long shadow, if he is going to shine he needs the time to do so and away to Italy is a great place to start.

Experience of this level takes time to build, players needs 5/10 starts at this level to get accustomed to it.

The best of luck to him because he has big boots to fill and plenty of people behind looking for the opportunity if he looks over his shoulder.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This must surely be the first time ever an Ireland starting 15 has had more Connacht players than Munster and Ulster combined?

3 from Connacht, 1 each for Ulster and Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Cue the annual whinging about not making enough changes for the Italy game even though they've made plenty and more than most expected against a side that very nearly and should have beaten France 3 weeks ago.

I really like the team. I know Sexton was "ruled out", but lets be honest, if it was England or Scotland he probably would be starting. Huge opportunity for Ross Byrne.

Casey getting only his 2nd Ireland start and 1st in the 6N.

Kelleher, Conan and Aki rotated in.

Baird and Crowley on the bench when they could easily have gone for safer selections in Treadwell and Carbery.

I don't see anyone whinging about not enough changes??

• Advertisement

I dont think they have rotated enough for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Wouldn't have minded seeing an alternative fullback, and is Hanson really that nailed on as a starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

is Hanson really that nailed on as a starter

Yes. I don't see any reason to think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Larmour and JOB are both playing very well but I think Farrell has his back 3 set in stone. Looks like it will take an injury now to see a change. Larmour would be a good bench option but McCloskey has been very good so far and deserves his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larmour has been tried at 15 and it hasn't worked out. He has the running game for the position, but has struggled a lot with his fielding. Better to leave him on the wing where he's excelling.

we're without 5 guaranteed starters.

we're starting a half back pairing who have never started previously.

we've 3 guys on the bench who have the grand total of 16 cap between them.

we're giving 5 lads their first starts in this years 6 nations.

im not really sure what people want outside of wholesale changes, that NEVER EVER happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Larmour is not a full back. I think we've established that from both national and provincial performances. He is a quality winger and could see him threaten Hansen's place as I think he's the "worst" player in our 15 (obviously excellent, but it's a high bar). I've noticed that Leinster have started to use Larmour this season in a similar way — coming in at first receiver and trying to make a good carry using footwork. The reality is he's nowhere near as effective as Hansen is at this role, so for now, he'll stay out of the 23.

We don't really have a dearth of right wingers at the moment — Conway has been out for almost a year, Balacoune hasn't really kicked on and is being dragged down by Ulster's collapse, and I'm not a big fan of Calvin Nash but seems at least on the cusp of the squad. Larmour is next cab off the rank and is on form but is lacking the physicality and aerial ability a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Baloucoune has his injury woes too. He's currently injured? Larmour will be next up. I think Hanson is going ok, so unless he has a stinker, I can't see him being dropped.

Larmour is playing well alright, but i dont think hes as good an all round player as hansen.

Hes probably the next in line alright, and should be on form over earls and stockdale

• Advertisement

Larmour does have the issues with fielding. It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Warning!! It's hot prediction time! Time to earn some cash. I presume you've all been following and waiting impatiently for this next installment. For avid followers, Ange Capuozzo has been going regularly. The teams are obviously in, my on the ground weather man has provided his report, I've had updates from both camps and my trip to Italy included some stuff my wife will never hear about but it's here, it's on, the prediction is ready, bookies be scared!!

I see this as another high scoring game. Ireland will dominate. But there will be a big lull in Ireland's performance. Ireland will push far ahead, Italy will get a bit closer as we go into the second half and then Ireland to get 2 late tries. Scoreline: Italy 17 Ireland 42. Get on big time!!! Ciao bella!

I think our error count will be the highest of the games we played so far, the new starters will cause some disruption to what was essentially a very settled team.

Aki getting carded trying to hard to impress is very possible, espically with adamnson in the middle

Baird and sheehan will do wreck when they come on.

Byrne will have some shaky moments, he will be the primary target of the italians.

I think casey will score a try, his opponent is poor and the irish forwards will make gaps for him to exploit

I think we will win and get 4 trys but italy will Score two trys and the game wont go beyond 10 points until our bench has been almost emptied.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tempting to lump on this exact scoreline after your octupus-like accuracy over the first two rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, slow and steady wins the race in his case. His game has really come on leaps and bounds over the past season, which is probably based as much on input from Farrell as from Leinster. Let’s keep in mind though, he should be compared to Carbery rather than Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

POM clearly still traumatized by having to cover the wing in Rome in 2013. I see they're easing him back into that theatre gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hansen is a nailed on starter until he isn't at least, he's getting picked in every game so hard to think otherwise at the moment.

• Advertisement

Indeed. He's a really good player. There's no real weakness in his game.

I'd say Conway won't get the shirt back. Time is not on his side. Awful season with injury for him.

Advertisement