Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring social welfare bonus question

Options
  • 21-02-2023 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

I was watching the news and was unsure.

So what I'm understanding from it is if you're single, unemployed, don't have kids, aren't old or disabled or a carer you get nothing, no bonus. Zilch.

Is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

If you're a tax payer there's nothing in it for you!

You're just expected to trundle along & be happy with your lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

At least you have a job and a wage and a purpose. I'm sure it pays a good bit better than the dole. Anyway the silence brings me to the conclusion that I'm correct. Single people are excluded. Well they've lost my vote. The government openly discriminate now I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

All core social welfare payments getting €200 so they only “discriminate” against working people it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

if you're on the dole you get €200 quid I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It’s only people who work that don’t get anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The price of petrol is going up to help pay for it. Vote for SF. They’re going to raise the dole to at least €300 per week.

Thanks all, SF it is. 😆

I say Hello Mary Lou...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

No bonus for sitting on your hole while there's full employment and companies screaming out for staff?

I certainly hope so.

If you are on the dole and got a council house you’d be better off than many middle income families that pay their mortgage themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

yep ,we got this all wrong did'nt we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Incorrect. Everybody still pays only 9% VAT on their ESB bill. So there is a small biteen of a bonus there.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

As firms cry out for workers, government policy is to pay people not to work. They no longer even try to incentivize work, just a perpetual stream of bonuses and "double welfare payments" for lying around. No help for the people actually getting up every day to keep the country running---just the proverbial middle finger.

It's difficult to get a job in my chosen field. I'm not sitting on my hole by choice honestly. I might give up on my chosen field and do something else. It's like you have to have experience but you can't get the experience they're looking for because to get the experience you need experience so you're basically screwed.

Clever strategy. People who just sit on their arse do not exercise enough and die much younger than those who move around a lot. Big savings on healthcare and pension payments. Free fags and free booze for those on SW payments might even speed up the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

You get a job in a different field while looking for a job in your chosen field. Common sense really.

Not all people on the dole are chain smokers and alcoholics. That's a stereotype.Also more free time means more time to exercise. So sorry to burst your bubble. 😆

I want to get off it as soon as I can anyway it's boring, I want a job. 200 euro will be gone on shopping and bills in no time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Without getting caught up in the rights or wrongs. Those who are on a long term Jobseekers payment (12 months or more) will get the €200 payment, much the same as they recieved the Christmas payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

They might give us a double tax free allowance!

The Tax Payers!!!

If you're single, unemployed, don't have kids, aren't old or disabled or a carer.... why aren't you working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Why aren't I working?

I can't get a job.

There's nothing available around me that is even remotely suitable. It's also not as easy to get a job as a lot of people on this forum like to make out. If you're in a job you just don't understand. Some people are really lousy on these forums and they have this negative attitude towards unemployed people. This crappy attitude that unemployed people don't want to work. They just don't have a flipping clue. They really don't. Anyway I'm thankful to the people that answered my question but it kind of shows the rotten attitude that some people have too.

Nothing "remotely suitable"? Like you think you should have the luxury of choice? If there is nothing suitable around you, move.

Have you actually ever read the terms of the "efforts" condition on Jobseekers payments, and also the rules on "unreasonable restrictions"? It's time DSP started actively applying these conditions vigourously.

Spare me the sob story of how people on this forum are being soooo mean to you. If immigrants who struggle with the language can come into this country and manage to find jobs, then why can't you?

Enough with the excuses. The people on this forum who you accuse of having a crappy attitude are the ones who work hard and pay for everything themselves, and pay the tax that funds social welfare, and we are sick of listening to excuses.

Hey...man....don't get me wrong. I was in satire mode😜

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I haven't read a single article saying that everyone on social welfare will get this bonus, they all say as the OP said, that it's those on disability, carers etc. The fact they all seem to specify this leads me to believe that it's because it's only those that will get it.

I'm in the same boat, single man, and I lost my job in October meaning I didn't qualify for the Christmas bonus and even if this one does go to all jobseekers if it's limited to those on it over 12 months I won't get this one either. I don't understand why that is a condition of it, I was making minimum wage it's not like I was able to squirrel away huge sums. I was also paying taxes the last few years. Yet I can't get the bonus while someone who hasn't paid in at all will?

Boils my blood how people working believe all unemployed people get handouts thrown at them left and right. They've obviously never been in the system (lucky them). There's actually lots of loopholes they use to keep certain things off you, like this bewildering 12 months thing. After college I did one of those Jobbridge internships, led to nowhere and then when it was done I was denied fuel allowance that winter because the entire 9 months on Jobridge didn't count towards the time you needed to be on the dole to get it. If I did nothing at all those 9 months I would have gotten it, instead I was working full time for free.

And they do actually apply the conditions, the poster above will be happy to hear. I've already had two meetings with Intreo where they check you are applying for jobs, and tbh both people I dealt with were not very nice, really talked down to me, which wasn't what I needed after losing my job.

The full employment thing isn't true everywhere. I live in a small rural town. There's not many jobs going. I check every day, apply for whatever I can. I have no car and transport around here is a joke which limits me a lot. For family reasons and the fact I have a dog it would be difficult to move.

The guy in Intreo said they're under pressure to move people off the live register. Why would that be if we are at full employment? Believe me a lot of these full employment numbers are smoke and mirrors and made look good by putting as many people on CE schemes or courses as they can - then you don't count on the register.

Telling someone unemployed to 'just move' to get a job... Uh, have you tried looking on daft lately. There's nowhere to move to! And if you found somewhere in an area that has more jobs it's going to cost you a fortune to pay the deposit at current levels. Where does an unemployed person get the money to relocate when cost of living is so high you can barely save 20 quid a week? And a lot of landlords or houseshares will only take people who are working.

They've had plenty of cash thrown at them since last October. Off the top of my head there were at least two separate "cost of living" payments made before Christmas, not including the Christmas bonus itself and not including the electricity credits.

TBH it was the "nothing suitable" comment that annoyed me most.

And yes, delighted to hear that DSP are enforcing their own conditions and trying to get people off the live register. Good. It's about damn time.

So excuse me if I don't get out my tiny violin for these kinds of stories anymore.

Like I said it's amazing how so many immigrants can come into the country and somehow manage to find work.

There should be two categories of Unemployment benefit

One for those who have worked for a period of greater than lets say 5 years and have made some effort

Second one for those who never worked a day in their lives and this should be UK type Dole levels

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's been a few but yes I agree the articles very anbigious. This nest explains who'll get the payment, in essence all those on long term Jobseekers payment, much the same as Christmas payment (12 months or more) as well as this on Disibility, WFP & Pensioners.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

A person is hounded for asking a simple question, on what is the state benefits forum. Leaves me thinking that maybe the site's problems aren't the site itself, but the user base instead.

• Advertisement

Or maybe those of us who are tired of listening to the grumbling about how hard done by they are, are starting to answer back.

Advertisement