Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowdrops squeezing out bulbs planted months ago, do I cut them back?

Options
  • 22-02-2023 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Planted hundreds of bulbs late last year in an area I had cleared...but suspect there was snowdrop bulbs planted by the previous house owner lying dormant in the nearby and they have come through very strongly. In recent days, they have fallen/flattened, and seem to by dominating the area. Should I cut them back as the newer bulbs on the periphery are coming through alright? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Leave them well alone. You can fit snowdrops in almost anywhere. If you have loads don't forget you can replant them in the green which is the preferred method. Just wait till they have finished (of mostly finished) flowering and dig out and move any that you think are in the way.

Should be easy to get rid of any excess snowdrops. I suspect a few here if nearby would happily divide some up for you in return for taking some away.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Hmmmmm just wondering about these "Snowdrops". I've had beds stuffed with thousands upon thousands of them and they were never and issue. So I'm thinging these Snowdrops might be like our recent Rhododendron ponticum that wasn't?

Any chance OP that the leaves you are seeing are a really dark green and come up in rosettes?

Snowdrop leaves are a grey green, bluebell leaves are bright green.

Snowdrops in the front (yours should also be in flower now) and I suspect some form of bluebells (only the leaf) behind.

A picture would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Could be wild garlic too, not convinced they're snowdrops either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That would account for them flopping too, OP, pull one, does it smell of onions?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Here are the photos...my wife did suggest wild garlic alright. I'd just like to give the bulbs I planted a chance...you'll see them on the edges...

• Advertisement

You were half way there its a snowflake rather than a snow drop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucojum_vernum

But I'd leave them alone but like snowdrops they can be divided up in the green.

Advertisement