Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry in Birmingham recommendations?

Options
  • 22-02-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

Going to Birmingham for a day or two soon. Heard its a great place for Indian food which I love. Any recommendations in which restaurants to go to or what dishes to get?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

“The Curry Mile”……was a long time ago when I was there…..but you should be spoilt for choice. Envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just googled my recommendation and it closed in 2019, just as well I checked! I've never had a bad curry in Birmingham, though.

Birmingham's area full of curry restaurants is also called the "balti triangle", possibly because "curry mile" is also used to refer to Rusholme in Manchester. Some of them are well outside the city centre and can be a balls to get a taxi back from, as few pass; and many are BYOB or no alcohol at all if you do want some beers to complete the English curry experience.

The Birmingham dish of choice is the balti - any type depending on what you want; chicken, prawn and veg baltis are the normal three offered but you do sometimes see beef or lamb too. But again, I've never had a bad curry of any type there even when my preference is often a non-balti prepared paneer dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah yes, I was a student in Manchester and I remember the curry mile in Rusholme well, although it wasn't called that back then (1970's) as far as I recall. What was great too was the huge number of Indian Sweet Centres, shops just selling Indian sweetmeats, Gulab Jamun, Jalebi, and loads of ones I don't remember the name of, many topped with edible silver or gold leaf. Yummm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MaterSZ

I remember going to this beautiful city for the first time, I took an airport transfer and my driver told me all about it and recommended Asha's Indian Bar & Restaurant in terms of food, so I went there and it's a great place! I have never had such delicious food and the atmosphere is just fire, I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Are you visiting the city centre?

As mentioned above the Balti Triangle is excellent, but can be almost overwhelming for choice for a rookie, and you are looking at getting a cab in and out, your best bet could be chatting a cab driver when you are there. Even as a local (lived in south Birmingham for 10+ years , but moved away 2 years ago, I was rarely steered badly by them!)

City centre Ashas is very nice, and its quite a elegant restaurant, so as such you will find it being a more expensive curry meal, but I have always enjoyed it, and it was worth what it cost. There was also a good restaurant above the Brasshouse on Broad Street, called Celebrity Balti which I visited a few times.

Depending on where you are staying (towards the University of Birmingham?) Kings or Syhlet Spice in Kings Heath are very good (Kings is BYO) and Royal Watan on Pershore road (BYO also)

There is also a bar called Hen and Chickens (close to Jewellery Quarter) which is a Desi pub, which is great curry in a pub, the mixed grill is (well was) incredible there. https://www.henandchickens.co.uk/

Let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭herrdood

It's been 7 years since I was there. The following place is central. Reasonably priced and the food as far as I can remember was good.

The Taj Mahal.

1, Norfolk House, Theatre Approach, Birmingham B5 4LJ

Phone: +44 121 643 8200

Advertisement