Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eau de farming...

Options
  • 23-02-2023 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Lads and ladies,

I know ralph lauren or hugo boss wont be bottling or copying the scent of farming but how do lads manage in the morning to feed and go to work i know change clothes and wash hands but it is hard to get the waft away without using a can of lynx africa a day....

Any tips going forward ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

You cannot get rid of the aroma without showering..absolutely impossible..

Do not skip the shower..

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Swarfega hand cleaner is great to clean muck and silage from hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Go to your local shop a pick up a bag of bread soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't bother changing and go to work in yer full farm gear, **** hands and all. Anyone asks tell them this is part and parcel and the first part of getting food on their table. Big yerself up with things like "I smell like this so you don't have to", etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've often gone into the local COOP and you'd smell some guys from 20 feet away. Always seems to be the Dairy lads. I hate going in anywhere in my farm working clothes.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I use black milker's disposable gloves, I wear a sailing overall which is basically a waterproof dungarees and a waterproof Gortex jacket all purchased when on holiday in France in the Decathalon shop. The wellies they have are also very comfortable.

When I have the above on unless you fall into the slurry tank you wont even need to wash your hands going to work.

You don't need to go to France to buy it they have opened a shop in Dublin beside IKEA and there is one in Limerick or buy online.

All the gear is very tough and very breathable. if you go to the hunting section the jackets and body warmers are excellent. sailing section for the waterproofs.

https://www.decathlon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Feed them in the evening, then go for a shower before bed

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The only thing I miss about covid and lockdowns is that everyone was wearing a mask in the local Centra and I could go in without fear of anyone getting the smell of silage off me

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

Disposable gloves esp for silage bales

Waterproof over the wellies& jacket, leave these in the shed before goin indoors

Often had to use Milton to wash hands before work as I worked in a medical device company at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

box of milking gloves. No matter how well you wash your hands it’s hard to get it all off. Easier to wear gloves and not get them dirty in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Could be worse i suppose, if you had a few pigs to sort first thing in the morning. Some bang off a lad outta there. Gloves or no gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Carbolic soap

Nothing worse than the smell of wet silage, especially sour silage that was made wet.

I find Carbolic soap for silage hands is about all that works. I hate the smell of the soap, some people like it but at least it gets rid of the silage smell.

Prevention is best, make Haylage is a brilliant feed with a sweet smell instead of silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Wash your hands as normal then get a handful of bread soda and mix in a little water to make a paste. Rub your hands/wrists as if you were washing them, leave for a 10 or 15 seconds and rinse off. Bread soda neutralises the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Carbolic soap is great to shift the smell of silage of the hands. I find with lesser soaps it seems to work and the an hour later it’s as bad as ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What smell ye on about😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Can't be any worse than the stink of perfume and aftershave off some people. It nearly chokes me and I'm not alone in that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I hear ya. Some people think the world should have no smell. Apart from the chemicals you buy in aerosols and perfume/aftershave bottles.

The juvenile soccer club in a local village here faces into slatted sheds, which are are only 40-50m away from the sideline. It's too close to be honest and I don't know whether the pitch or the sheds were built first. But anyway, the teams that come out from town are usually surprised at what silage and slurry smells like. Throw in a strong wind straight down from the Comeraghs, and the home team often have the advantage of their own "12th man".

I'm assuming there's some amount of Lynx sprayed on the away team bus going back into town!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I always wear gloves. However on cleaning hands if you can ever pickup a tub of this out of Lidl it's great for cleaning ingrained dirt or even oil off your hands. Wet you hands first put a bit of this on and then a bit of liquid soap and it cleans virtually everything unless really dried in. You can buy it elsewhere in builders providers etc but harder to get it in small tubs

I always have farming clothes and even when I was working FT I used to change into them when I arrived on the farm.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Could you stick that in as a farm expense Bass?!

For certain..plus the workwear, tools and bits 'n pieces

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I stop off the odd morning on the way to the workshop for a cup of tea if im ahead of time, never mind the smell off the farming community the bang of horseshit off the stable hands in the shop is absolutely disgusting.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

I use the nitrile gloves, get a box of them in the local coop. Get a few days out of a pair. Leave the box on the tractor so that they are always nearby when a new pair is needed. Handy as well to have them on when cleaning out the drinkers. Just put the pair into my jacket pocket then when I take them off.

Works fairly good for me anyway.

Advertisement