Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Variable gain distribution amplifier vs variable gain masthead amplifier

• 23-02-2023 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I have a new wide band aerial fitted currently with no amplification fitted, I’m getting reasonably good reception to one television, around 65% signal strength and around 90% quality .

I would like to connect four televisions to this aerial feed in my attic space, I have a power supply in this area and four tv cables plus aerial feed are in same location.

My question is as I feel some amplification will be required which of the two options I’m considering using would give the best quality picture . 1, a four output variable gain distribution amplifier or. 2, a variable gain masthead amplifier single output fitted on aerial pole close to aerial and with power feed to aerial and passive four way splitter fitted in attic, aerial is easily accessible and cable from aerial to attic is approximately 8 meters, cables from attic to television point are approximately 10 meters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Masthead amp is probably recommended as it would be closest to the aerial and with 8m of cable downstream.

Also considering the lower signal strength, I assume measured at the TV point after a further 10m of cable.

For convenience an attic distribution amp might also be a consideration with only 8m of cable to aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jack12a

The Cush, thank you for your advice, I suppose there may not be a great deal of difference in picture quality between the two, but I think your advice regarding masthead amplifier makes a lot of sense. Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Picture quality is dependant on signal quality, and you have that there at 90%.

Advertisement