Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlegarden deck repair

• 23-02-2023 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭

Folks.

move the deck off the mower at the moment to see if patching is an option

im struggling to get the boss of the bottom of the spindle shafts as new bearings are needed.

are these just key’’d on the shaft ??

any tips welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That bit is call the Blade Adapter and its held on the shaft by the blade and blade bolt. To prevent it turning on the shaft there is a woodruff key.

I'm not sure having the blade bolt still in it is helping?

If you do hack it off spares aren't that expensive around a tenner - https://lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/product/blade-adapter-for-castelgarden-224630200-1224630200

Edit> If you don't have a suitable puller you could support the "wings" on the blade adapter in the jaws of a vice, back off the blade bolt a turns then give the blade bolt a good hard bashing. When its cold if you hold the adapter in your hand with the blot out a bit you might be able to tap/bash the bolt to start to get it off.

I've never really had much of a problem getting them off but have always done it with the spindle holder still attached to the deck.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The bolt is just back in to protect it. It’s soaking at the moment and I’m borrowing a pullers later so hopefully that dies the job.

The deck is shook. 22/23 years old

the other side is “ok”

when I started taking the deck off there wasn’t a hole I could put my finger into

I’ll rebuild the spindles and price a deck, but budgets are tight so a patch up might be needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My guess is around €250 (€262) for a new deck shell, might be this one https://www.mowerparts.ie/castelgarden-deck-shell-x2836x22x29-92cm-up-to-2007-3825640480-62-p.asp. Don't think thats too bad as its about the price I paid for one about 4 years ago.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Got the boss of both spindle shaft with bearing puller and heat. Took a wee chip out of one boss but it’s grand. Get new bearings tomorrow and get them back together over the weekend.

Wil see about the deck. Tempted to just braze in a patch and keep it running. Plenty of bits of sheet steel about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement