Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iplayer Lite coming to SkyQ ?

Options
  • 23-02-2023 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

A new addition to the catch up menu on SkyQ has been added today, called BBC TV. No programmes have been added yet, but I'm wondering is it going to be a cut down version of the BBC iplayer, same as what's on Sky Stream ? But as you can record on SkyQ, why is there a need for it on Q.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

I hadn't heard anything but yes I see it there now.

It would make a lot of sense and be a welcome addition. For new shows on BBC, with no catch up, +1 channels or same week repeats it can quickly create problems, without even a simple catch up available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

This is a mitigation for Sky Glass, which doesn't have any in-built recording functionality.

Glass subscribers in the UK can view all BBC programs on iPlayer via catch-up - but obviously this causes issues for Irish Sky subscribers. To cover this off, Sky have said that an iPlayer-type product would be launching for the Irish market, albeit with a reduced selection (Match of the Day was an example of a program which won't be included iirc).

Makes sense that it would roll out to Q subscribers too - essentially giving them the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

BBC TV removed today from the Catch Up menu. Doesn't look like iPlayer Lite is coming after all.

Oh well another false dawn and probably another sign of poor quality control from sky, having the menu item appear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

It's back - this time with actual programmes!

It is not a full catch-up service (assuming they are not still in the middle of setting it up). Dramas such as Death in Paradise, Beyond Paradise and EastEnders are there, but The Gold is not.

• Advertisement

I'll play the - some is better than none - card. Probably a sign of which shows have more complicated rights than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Yes, it's called BBC on Demand now. Not a huge amount of programmes on it yet, but look its a start, hopefully it will be added to over time.

BBC On Demand has appeared on my Sky Plus HD box today, nice addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Working on Sky q lite also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's also on the Playstation 5 version of Sky Go but don't see it on other versions of Sky Go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Wasn’t on the Apple TV version the other day anyway.

They still seem to be playing around with it. Previously it was organized in comedy,drama etc. Now it's different without categories on the left and scrolling the main panel has a now and next kind of thing under the main catch up stuff and a list of BBC channels for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

What format are the programmes in? SD or HD

Using EastEnders as an example it's available in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Seems to be more programmes on there this morning.

Never thought I’d see the day

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tried the PS5 version earlier and the list of programmes can be seen but not played on the PS5. Looks to be Sky box only.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

I know it is better than nothing, but the range of programmes available is a bit pitiful. Just a handful of titles. Not really a catch up service at all.

Advertisement