Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E10 finally coming in...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

No ill effects on either of my W124, but a hit on the wallet due to 10% increase in consumption on both... 😫

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Got two bottles of it a while back, used first bottle a couple of times, couldn't open it last time I got petrol, exactly same issue you had. Then remembering I had the 2nd bottle, tried to open it, same bloody thing! Eventually my son got the first bottle open, so just put the cap back on a little less tight. Crap bottles and also difficult to get the damn stuff down into the tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Good to hear it's not just me! Yes I just very lightly screw the cap on now, before it "clicks". And yes, it could be better for putting in the tank. Should be like the Dipetane bottle and have a long neck.

I was under my car on Saturday doing an oil change and took the opportunity to check the fuel lines, lucky I did!

I had run the car for 30 min before jacking it up. I did notice some drips as I was putting the jack under the diff but assumed it was condensation.

I'm not sure if this is E10 related though, as about 2 years ago there was a leak at this same point. It was due to a too small overlap of the rubber and hard lines. So, I'm pretty sure this hose section is ~2 yrs old. E10 was not on my radar then so can only assume it's compatible.

Just a bad hose? Are Halfords hoses good quality? They are SAE J30R7.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

I suspect that hose is not rated for the high pressure side of the fuel injection system hence the splitting and bulging. Those clamps are certainly not recommended unless there are barbs on the solid line they attach to. Also J30R7 is standard fuel and oil line for low pressure, you need J30R9 for fuel injection systems on the high pressure side. Replace with hardline or correct fitting rubber lines. The rubber lines will require at least a flare on the hard lines.

• Advertisement

Thanks. According to the halfords site, the R7 "Working pressure: 225psi/15bar" and my K-Jetronic works at 5bar (I found several figures online but that's the max) so that should be ok? Any idea where I might get R9?

The clamps are OEM I believe, they match the others on the other lines. But, I remember they were very fiddly so going to put two jubilee clips at each end.

Halfords actually sell R9 rated fuel lines, they call it fuel injection hose, just need to keep an eye out. I know the Kjetronic well, it was on a few 80s and early 90s cars. It is sensitive to pressure though but a reliable system. Easier to get parts for than the earlier D jetronic system.

Regarding the clamps, as said earlier they are suitable if there is a barb or slight bubble on the solid fuel line the flexible fuel line attaches to. I would not be overly confident if they are purely relying on a friction fit to straight line. Most oem flexi lines would have a crimped fitting that is mechanically attached to a solid line.

I ended up getting some R6 from Halfords. I went to and rang a few places and nobody could tell me what spec they sold. so I went to Halfords as they have the spec. That was all they had in 8mm. It's rated at 20 bar working pressure. I only had today to get it done so had no choice, I'll keep an eye on it.

WRT the clamps, the hard lines have no barb or anything like that, so I just put 2 x jubilee clip at each end and ran it for 10 min, all ok

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

Just a note: aside from a higher working pressure, R9 hoses are also rated for permanent use with bio-fuels (bio-diesel, E5 and above). R6/R7 will deteriorate faster when used with E10.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll have to get some R9 and replace all the lines at some stage, but hopefully this will do for now. And, I always put the additive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Did a dig about on the spec of the Halfords hose

Thanks @w124man I'll have to source some better lines and replace them later.

Advertisement