Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mangoes

Options
  • 23-02-2023 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anybody know where to get good mangoes in Ireland or websites that deliver good quality fresh mangoes in boxes to Ireland?

I haven't had a good mango in years. Veganic in Dublin used to sell really good mangoes but they're closed down now. The mangoes you get in any of the main supermarket chains are either stringy or they never ripen properly - by the time they are soft, they are a weird brown-yellow colour and are practically inedible.

I know this is a strange request haha but if anyone has come across decent mangoes, I'd love to know where you got them. I'm often travelling throughout the country so location is not a limiting factor. I would detour 50km for a daycent mango.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The only decent ones I've had over the past year were the pre-cut mango chunks from M&S. Any whole mangoes from supermarkets were the way you describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I have the saame problem, and given they come from no further away than our bananas do, you'd imagine that it would be possible to get mangos to Ireland in decent condition.

I find that the "ready to eat" mangos can sometimes be acceptable, but even then you have to pick and choose carefully.

The story is much the same with lots of fruit, most fruit on our supermarket shelves isn't fit for consumption. It's all picked way before it's ripe. And don't get me talking about avacodos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Desu

Some fruits ripen off the tree, like bananas which is why they travel well & ripen properly in transit or at home. Mangoes like many other fruits only ripen properly on the tree unfortunately so I'd imagine the only chance of getting good ones is those that are picked almost ripe and air freighted here. I've had good mangoes & papayas in other Northern European countries so it is possible to get tropical fruits to Europe in good condition but we seem to get the scraps here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I usually get a box from a Pakistani shop (Zaiqa) here in Cork once or twice a year. They only have them for a very limited time while they are in season, and they sell fast. The difference between them and any other mango I ever bought is simply staggering, you wouldn't even think they're the same fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Get Fresh in Rathfarham

To be honest ive gotten great mangoes from Tesco loads of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seylen

It's been a long time since I've seen a good mango in stores

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, was going to post the same.

They are a very different flavour to the variety normally available. I think they taste kind of cardamomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

They taste like honey, only somehow better! 😅

Advertisement