Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I make an insurance claim for an accident that happened at my own house?

• 24-02-2023 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hit another vehicle at my own house - a parked tractor actually, as I was coming in the driveway, as I didn't expect the tractor to be there. I live in the country obviously. I probably did come in a bit too fast. The tractor is fine, but my wheel is a bit pushed in and the suspension could well be affected. It 's an old-ish car, 2010, probably worth about €2000.

Is this something I can claim for on my insurance? TBH, the repairs and the panel beating will probably add up to about €1000, ballpark figure, which I can't afford to pay in cash. So could I claim this through my insurance? I have been insured for four years - young male driver.

Is there anything extra I need to know, as I want to do this properly and not mess it up - if I'm able to at all. Do the assessors always come out to look at the car, or do they take our word for it about the damage? I can send them pics. TIA :)

Comments

I belive the fact it was at your house is irrelevant. But if your car is worth 2k and the damage is 1k. Then the insurance may well write off the car.

You will then have a claim on your insurance.

This affects future insurance premiums. You might be better off to fix yourself or scrap the car depending on how bad it is.

Like it or not, insurance companies "punish" young fellas based on risk profiles and if you have a no claims discount of 4 years, I would really think long and hard before making a claim. Insurance comapnies are not your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You can claim, but you will lose your no claims bonus and most likely have to pay an excess, plus increased repayments going forwards.

You would be much better off borrowing the money from the credit union if you can, as it will cost you a lot less than a claim will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gooser14

If there is an excess payment requirement on your policy the insurance company will only pay the repair cost less the excess. Probably better to get a loan to fund the repair rather than making a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

If you make a claim the car will most be likely be scrapped by the insurer.They will offer you a paltry amount for the scrap value of your car.You will lose your NCD and pay a lot more for your next insurance and probably be loaded for the next 5 years.Better to get quote for repair,borrow the money and fix it.Or sell it for scrap,yourself.No insurance claim in other words.On the other hand a dealer might offer you more on a trade in as it is just for the business(it does happen)than the scrap value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Insurance companies dont like to spend money, they might refuse to quote you in future (or add €1000's ) if you try to insure a modern car even as a named driver on someone elses policy

My uncle gave a guy a lift and was in a small accident and the guy claimed, uncle could only afford insurance on 15+ year old polos, clios, 206's etc for as long as i can remember, he only bought a nice car reciently, he crashed it after a week, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jimbo Boy

Thanks for the replies everyone. All that's very helpful.

Two questions from what's been said on here: Someone said I'd get a paltry amount from the insurance - how much *very* roughly do you think they'd pay out? (Car is 2010, worth €2000, €1000 approx to repair). Someone else said sell for scrap - but I thought scrap yards only gave a few hundred € for scrap vehicles??

Last question and most important: If I make a claim, then I'm not happy with what they are going to give me, and then don't go ahead with claim, will that still go against me? As in affect my insurance going forward. Like do they only count it as a claim if they actually pay out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

Only actual claims affect insurance so you won't be penalised if you don't claim.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have you gotten actual quotes to fix it or are you guessing 1k for repairs? IMO you'd be mad to go anywhere near your insurance with this. Get it repaired so that the car is driving properly, leave off any non essential cosmetic stuff to keep the repairs as low as possible, and if you haven't got the funds for it, do as another poster suggested and suss out a CU loan. If you put that through your insurance you'll be paying for it multiple times over.

You could be penalised even if you don't go ahead with the claim.The notification of a possible claim will still appear on your file as a sneaky way to stop you going to another insurance company.Sorry,but,also as a way for them to keep a record of your insurance history.Getting them to remove it afterwards would a major battle.You'll be forced to disclose when getting insurance in the future.Fix it without insurance! You'd be unlikely to get e1,000 from a scrayard for it,prob in the 500/600 but who knows.If it's drivable I'd take it to second hand car dealer and see what you can get on a trade in(2013-14-15)-for curiosity at least.

Follow Toots and don't forget the NCT requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you have fully comprehensive insurance? If you don't you can't claim as your policy only covers 3rd parties.

No insurance company is going to repair a vehicle when the repair is 50% of the value. You need to fix it yourself or find a banger with some NCT.

Advertisement