Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone mowing?

Options
  • 24-02-2023 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Nice dry(ish) spell at the moment and promised that way for a week or two. Although cold.

Anyone mow yet this year, is it best hold off until it's milder or no odds. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Someone comes and does most of mine with a ride-on, we do the fiddly bits. It was cut last week and the clippings mulched, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

I mowed mine 2 weeks ago at the end of the last dry spell.

Looked a little rough initially, but a nice bit of fresh growth coming on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

First mow of the year done 2 weeks ago - decent growth since and will mow again tomorrow weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There was a thread recently in After Hours of all places on the same subject some claiming a neighbour was mad to be out mowing but there's a lot of us at it.

Thinking myself of doing a third cut this year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭mulbot

Cut last week, new grass coming through now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

first cut done, and some reseeding to, the chainsaw is out now, so everything, including myself, isnt safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Will leave it until the daffodil leaves start to die (end of March?) then mow it down low and not again until Sept / Oct

NO ;-) Most Daffodil leaves don't start to die off until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Perfect, will relax for another few weeks so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes that's the only problem with daffs, they look scruffy for so long. They are worth it though. I have made a gesture towards civilising mine by putting in a border of heather and some hydrangeas a bit further back that will be 'transparent' while the daffs are in flower, then cover a good area and distract from the straggly leaves. That's the theory anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Haven’t started yet, waiting for this next cold snap to pass in case of frost.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I went out and mowed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Did a very high cut two weeks ago and will do it again tomorrow if its dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

For last 5 or so years I don't stop mowing. Obviously during winter months I've cut it less but have cut it at least once every month. Does the garden zero harm and looks well all year round

In Ireland the problem is always going to be finding dry enough periods to cut during the winter.

Saying I'm cutting the grass in the winter is often the wrong terminology. Most of the time I'm just topping off. Summer cuts can produce 15 or more bags of grass from a rid on but winter if the weather allows can produce "cuts" that produce 1 or two bags full of grass.

For anyone not getting it the reason for cutting AYR (all year round) is it avoids much of the issue with a typical wet Irish spring when the grass is growing but you can't get on it. If you've kept it well cut during the winter it doesn't take off as quickly in the spring and you don't have all the extra growth from the winter the adds to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm planning first cut next weekend, if weather stays dry. My land is swampy, don't want my ride-on to be stuck in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Cut a small section outside the back door yesterday.

Will cut the remaining lawn with the ride on today if it stays dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭sligopaul

Robo out a week after doing a cut with push mower

Did it all this morning. A bit damp but it was badly needed. Still a very high cut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Both robots were sent out Saturday on high after a bit of sorting out of the wires. The next door neighbour did his today with a pushmower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'll hold off until around Easter or end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Got out and did the whole place today.

Was starting to get thick, cut on no.4, probably a bit tight but it needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

Cut my grass front and back two weeks ago and it looks like I never cut it.Grass growing too good already.Needs another cut now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

You'll need a Combine by then.Get out and cut it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was led to believe you should wait until Spring proper i.e. after the last frosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I've cut my lawns 3 times this year, first time was late January, used the setting no 4. Have cut it twice in February, on setting no 3. It needs a good scarifying, huge amount of thatch. I'm planning on scarifying it twice. Did it once the last time and it clearly wasn't enough. Will also need to tackle the creeping buttercup which is already visible. Plenty of work to do be done

The only part of that is almost correct is the frost bit. You can cut anytime of the year but its advisable not to cut the same day that there will be frost or to cut grass that is frosted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Done my 1st cut yesterday on the highest setting on both mowers. Huge growth over the last couple of weeks (I was away)

Noticing a few bad patches of thinning grass and moss intrusion even though I applied sulphate of iron before I left.

Will scarify with my towed rake/dethatcher and overseed in a few weeks after a good low cut. Then fertilise also.

On the subject of fertiliser is anyone having trouble getting 7-6-17? My local glanbia don't have it still and aren't sure if they'll be getting 50kg bags at all!

Advertisement