Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone mowing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I sprayed (roundup) some rampant buttercup a few weeks ago in an area where I didn't mind about the grass. The grass died, the buttercup just laughed at me. Back to digging I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Dichophar is quite cheap (20 -25 euro a litre) and does a good job on buttercups. I pick up a litre every year or so in Tom Currans.

For buttercups in flower beds I use a small builders trowel with a notch cut in the end and use it to undercut the roots just below the bottom of the rosette. A lot less effort than digging provided you don't mind working on your knees.

Edit> Two weeks at this time of year is a bit short for glyphosate (Roundup) to do much. Grass is always the first to show signs of being hit. One reason I like selective "hormone" weedkillers like Dichophar is the way the distorted growth with a couple of days (often hours in the summer) shows you whats been hit and of course what you've missed.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

Our climate is changing and the old way of thinking ie gone.And its very hard to kill grass by mowing it.Cut away now,we're afret having a few grand dry days so conditions are perfect for a cut.

Bloody moss is everywhere thanks to our cold damp winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

No, but them I don’t have any lawn as all back garden is planted and front lawn replaced with wildflower meadow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

3 cuts since January with the push mower. 1 more to do and the robot shall be unleashed.

Thanks for that suggestion, I will give it a go in a month or two. I wasn't really expecting the roundup to do much in early January, but the buttercups were growing with such enthusiasm that it seemed worth a try/ I was exasperated looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

First mow today at the highest setting. Like others, I’ve some mossy patches, the first time I’ve had it in this garden.

Im not planning to do anything about it for now, I’ll do a few more mows at the higher setting and hopefully the grass will overtake it when the real growing starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

First mow last friday at second lowest setting. Ride-on's basket emptied 7 times, on 5.000 sq m land.

There were more dry leaves than grass, I'd say. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Second lowest setting?? You're either very brave or foolhardy. 😀

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

There was hardly any grass growth since last cut in October. Like I said, even @ 2nd lowest setting collected more leaves than grass. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Plenty of moss for me over winter as north east facing garden so no mowing. I'm gonna start moss treatment soon and then scarify. Dunno why I bother though, should just live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

What fertiliser do you guys use when over seeding after scarifying? Was thinking 7 6 17 myself along with the new seed but proving hard to get locally!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did my 1st cut of the year 2 days ago, simply due to the long dry spell and I reckoned my grass was as dry as it was gonna get (I have some wet sections in my gardens).

Just as well I did it, as it rained plenty overnight. Grass doesn't look that bad for this time of year, all considered.

I have some moss around, and have Mo Bactor to put down, but the instructions say not to put it down until air temp is 12c or above, do I held off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hand scarifiers and aerators in Lidl at the moment for €29.99 each. Could be a good cost effective solution for those with small gardens.

Got them today. Will report back on how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I scarify about once every 10 years- so reckon it's about time this year :D - Yeah "live with it" tends to be my motto and just keep it short and neat.

Mowed today as grass very dry, quite long and won't have a chance again for another 2 weeks or so- I know not ideal considering the weather and low temperatures next week but needs must - its not like its an award winning lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Absolutely tormented with moss this year. What's best for getting rid in a large enough area? Have used mobacter before with ok results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yeah its pretty much futile to defeat it.

I scarified heavily last October and sprayed alot of Iron sulphate on the lawn and the moss is as bad as ever now.

Think I am wasting my time

Scarified some area and put lots of moss killer down but seems to have made little difference to my grass too.But one thing I discovered is that Lidl washing (€3.50 a box)powder is some moss killer.I had a lot of moss outside our back door on a small concrete area (which got almost no sun) and sprinkled a box of the powder on it and within a couple of weeks the moss had turned brown and died.I scraped it off and it hasn't returned.But I don't think I would chance the washing powder on my grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You cant use washing powder on grass, it will kill it.

Milling salt is cheaper than washing powder, thats what I use on my drive.

Iron sulphate is the best for grass, its very cheap to buy especially for large areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lots of people know are hacking away.So go ahead and do it.Maybe wait until later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

I carried out the 1st cut since last Autumn on Saturday with the manual push mower. It was tough.

I know all that.I used an iron sulphate product for the past three years ,yes it turned the moss black and killed some of it.i raked it out but it's back as bad as ever now.I'm just going to mow away now.Scrape up as much as the moss as I can during the summer and see what happens.That moss killer is pretty dear to be buying bags of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bought a bag of Green Force Lawn Gold which is basically an eco friendly alternative to Iron Sulphate that doesn't require raking off black moss. Will report back on if it works!

Post edited by deisedude on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Same problem as above, bits of moss in corners along the walls or where the sun doesn't usually reach. What's the best stuff to use to combat this and re-grow grass... I'd love to not have to do any raking!!

I have to admit I have a soft spot for moss, its all over my garden, but it is of the lush curly fronds (sphagnum? I don't know) variety. However if you have got that scruffy patchy stuff I can understand why you would want to get rid of it.

Unfortunately removing it will not guarantee that grass will grow, especially if there is no sun. Could you take it off in an interesting shape and replace with something low growing shade tolerant ground cover. I believe there are shade tolerant grass mixtures now, but I don't know anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cut the grass last week and needs it again this week, the cutting season is upon us!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

The rain showers are ruining attempts to get at it. Mind you the good windy conditions too, so doesn't seemed swamped.

Might motivate myself to give it a high cut

Unregistered Users

Another one yesterday. Even less collected, just 4 baskets, second lowest setting again. No growth yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm cutting every 10 days or so. Still a fairly high cut but there is certainly plenty of growth.

Advertisement