Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 2) Rosslare (25th Mar @12:30pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

some small changes to the timesheet made there folks due to the drop outs. emails should have been sent to relevant parties

please be vigilant of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Very disappointed to have to pull out, but sadly there's a serious family illness. Hopefully I'll be able to make some more outings this year, but it's all very much up in the air for now.

Had been really looking forward to playing a new links and the shots and reviews of Rosslare are very exciting.

Have a great day everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sorry to hear that Easy. Hope all goes well for you guys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Apologies, unforeseen family event has arisen, I need to withdraw😔

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Another drop out sorry. Didnt think I could go originally got cover sorted, cover has now let me down 😭.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Guys please be ready a few minutes before your tee time. As we're out in three balls the intervals between groups will be 9 minutes instead of 10. For example the last tee time listed at 14:00 on clubnet will actually be tee off about 10 minutes earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

I am sure it is an error buy bobbynomates..me..has been removed from the 1.40 slot and not anywhere else.

😭😭😭😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You're in there are 1.30 booster when I look at timesheet

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

13:30 is moved to the twilight zone. I’m also missing in action, you aren’t alone, Bobster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Sorry lads, that is my fault. I edited a line by mistake. Not sticking to my own rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Should be all viewable now

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

Perfect, thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We all excited yet? Weather not looking too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looking forward to the day out tomorrow. Hopefully the wind in Rosslare isn't quite as stiff as what we are getting in Dublin today!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tomorrow should be a classic..links course ...honest wind and a real road trip.

I call 39 or 40 pts to win..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was a serious wind blowing out there today in Rosslare, 40+ kph, very tough from about the 8th until you get back to the 18th!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Can't wait folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Looking forward to getting back on the track with seriously nice people in a great community

Oh and a nice bracing walk among the dunes building sand castles looking for golf balls 😂

Who put out the Child of Prague last night lads? 😁😁😁😁😁. Now he / she has two purposes, good weather for weddings, and good weather for ⛳⛳🏌️🏌️

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Benny. You gon dunnit again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lovely morning here in Wexford. The sun is out.

Reminder: Please be ready to go at least 10 mins early for your tee time.

@benny79 , the golfing gods, and the child of plague's, they have come up trumps, greetings from Rosslare links.

By the way probably pointless with modern tech....but course is in Rosslare Strand...slightly different place to Rosslare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Halfway there, stopped for a McDonald's. See yis soon lads

Few photos grabbed of an up and down day. Post mortem or obituary will follow later ☺️

Best outing I remember in a long time - The course , 3 balls , pace of play , quality of golf, the weather, the food , the location , the staff and the general club atmosphere.

Wexford and me go back a long way - in laws , summer , sun, sea. There is just an atmosphere down there , that is a version of Ireland that has a touch of France about it. There is a kindness and honesty in the people too. It is a special place for me.

I played Rosslare maybe 7 or 8 years ago - I knew it was a special one - but after today , I've elevated it again in my favorites. The more places you play golf, you get to see there are different courses , for different purposes. If I was to place Rosslare in any category - it is a course you could play all year, be a member of and try have that special round on. There is a great variety of holes , with nice undulations across the course , it feel like a course of original Links golf - it has wonderful greens and a testing wind.

We probably got it - a bit tamer than normal , with the rough still in winter shape - but to reach many greens in regulation on the way back , you had to hit two real solid golf shots to get there.

I played with the 2 Johns - and from the first tee shots you could see, that there was going to be no messing - and the two of them are fine experienced golfers - who know their golf and can play serious stuff. Myself and Bakerbhoy had great periods of golf and great moments over the course of the day - but from the 1st hole when Golfgraffix holed a monster for 3 - there was an early sign, he was on.

We got to witness a very special round of golf - myself and Golfgraffix only know each other from the society - but we actually know each other a long time and have played a massive amount of golf together - but the golf that he is playing lately is another level - controlled ball flight and controlled mind. I'd say if 2 or 3 shots had gone a different way - a par round was on. But was still a special round on an away course.

Bakerbhoy had a bad period before the turn - but he seriously got it going again in the middle of the round - and had a brilliant 2 into the wind on 14 - as it went in - he said " and that is my first ever boards 2 " - showing, how much it meant to him and showing how much the society means to him. Bakerbhoy only joined last year - but I don't think I have ever come across a member, who was so in - and I mean 100 % in from the off. People like Bakerbhoy make this society special.

As we turned further south - you could feel the southern sun and a sea "zephyr" - At all times, we were chasing the impressively fast Pakman , Benny and Bluenote - physically and as it transpired, competitively. We seen that drive from "Bluenote" - a truly bifurcation moment - amazing. With that length and wedges into par 5s - he was going to be a man to watch - his power is wasted around Corballis.

Golfgraffix - knew that it would need a perfect round to win the event - and the last showed how hard it is to win a Boards outing - at the top, one putt can be enough to lose an event. The extra putt happened at 18. But - it couldn't take away from the best round I ever seen him play - I always told him that he was a better golfer than his handicap - and it was a pleasure to be there the day it came to be true.

As the day ended, I went back out to 18 - to see more players come in - all trying to hit the last in 2 for that eagle chance. The sun was setting and March was still in the sea air. I wanted to see the course again , the efforts and trials and tribulations of this amazing game.

The last few years have been a difficult time for many in the society - be it covid - family issues - bereavement - social isolation - injuries - sick family members . There is no real solution to many of these issues - but for one day a month, we go away and share a golfing experience. It is a day of escape - freedom - enjoyment - fun . And maybe a quick chat, be it serious or not.

In theory we are just a golf society - and that is all there is to it. But as I left Rosslare and reflected on many things - I began to wonder is there more to this than golf ?

Going on a hill walk in April - catch all in May. Brilliant day RR.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Welcoming display at Rosslare GC

Thank you Rosslare Golf Links for a warm and friendly welcome and the opportunity to play a fantastic golf course.👏

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Great round yesterday with Benny and Bluenote. Really enjoyed the course and the company too and nice to play half decent on a links course for once. Set myself a challenge to play more links this year, as usually they are an absolute killer for me. Bluenote came out of the traps fast with 2 birdies in the first 3 holes and I realised I wouldn't be following his club selection after watching how far he hit it. His course guidance was invaluable though with all the danger getting pointed out early. Benny was a late addition to our group, and as a result didn't get a warmup, but played really solid too. We both struggled with a few of our pitch/chip shots and it cost us. I think preferred lies all winter had me fooled into thinking I was better at them than I really am.

We flew along and was great to have nobody out in front of us so we could try and set a pace. 8 - 17 into the wind was a great challenge, and I know we were blessed with the weather if the reports from the day before were anything to go by. That's two great events down and thanks to all for the work gone in to organise.

• Advertisement

Thanks Boards for another great outing. Good weather, great course, warm welcome and a very enjoyable game with my partners on the the day @Boccy23 and @WeaponsofGrassDestruction (what a name). Two very sound lads and we had good craic. Boccy23 is a sound man and a very solid golfer always competing for a score on every hole. @WofGD is a bionic man and a survivor of Mass Destruction. How James can swing a club let alone golf is a near miracle, and can he swing it, well done James. Well done to Bluenote and all the winners. Looking forward to the next boards outing

Advertisement