Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 2) Rosslare (25th Mar @12:30pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Had the pleasure of playing with @spuddy4711 and @LinoRichie yesterday.Very enjoyable round.Spuddy drove the ball very well and but for some errant approach shots would have been there or thereabouts.

Richies game as always was generally solid just the putting goddess didnt like him.Must have lipped out at least 9 holes.Maybe he should be lippyrichie instead and she might look aftet him.

After a short layoff I was happy enough with my game..35 points with two 1 pointers and a scratch is never too bad.My prorities were three fold..use more club to avoid forcing hooks..be mid to top table to get Jug points started..and take a fiver off Tiger.

A successful day all round😂

Thanks to all who organised a great day..I even gained Brownie points by bringing the missus to visit her sisters in Wexford while I played.

A joy to play in dry conditions..back to the drudgery of parkland today...was not enjoyable.

See you all in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Great day out yesterday, accompanied by Seve and my cousin who tagged along as a visitor. Very happy with how I struck the ball, only remember having three really poor shots all day. A knocked down driver on 9 which I ended up scratching, a four iron which scuttered less than a hundred yards and a drive OB on the 18th which I made a 6 on after playing a second off the tee. Apart from the scratch I scored consistently with 17 front and 19 back. Left quite a few shots out there with my putting letting me down, 4 three putts which is very frustrating.

Seve played some really lovely stuff yesterday, with three (maybe 4) birdies, a lot of very good shots and in general a very consistent and impressive striker of the ball.

My cousin thoroughly enjoyed her experience with the society and asked to pass her thanks along to the organisers.

Already looking forward to the spin down to arklow next month.

PS, if anyone has the standings/results from yesterday could they throw them up, we got on the road after having food.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Got on the road nice and early yesterday morning and from the time I stepped out the front door, the sun was shining in Clonmel and it was a good omen, being in the sunny south east, it proved that way driving via Waterford and on to Rosslare. First order was get my gear sorted and had to get a few bits in the pro shop including some tokens for more practice. I was at the range Friday night also and I have been trying to avoid two things, a fecking another Sonia O'Sullivan first tee shot and I have been topping my irons. On my way back to the range I had a catch up with Bakerbhoy, great chat and we were like two women with the same dress on at a wedding, because we had the same Under Armour top on 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

So 2 buckets of balls and the shots were going ok and my hybrids, woods, were striking well. I met Tiger at the range and I donated some of my dud golf balls in the bag to him for practice. But Tiger and Bakerbhoy had the same premonition, had I hit my good shots all in practice? Turns out it was true 😔😔.

After a change in the groups I would be playing once again with Break80 and for the first time playing alongside Jarrieta. I also nearly put off poor Bluenote as I thought Pakman was practicing chipping and after Bluenote hit his shot, I asked what time are ye out? Bluenote said "we are on the 2nd" 🤦🤦🤦🤦

My game was awful yesterday, Break80 had great knowledge of the course after playing in much more windier conditions on the Friday. Played some very nice shots. Finished with good score too. Jarrieta has a very nice shot set up and hit some very nice irons too.

Sonia joined me on hole 1,2,3 and 4 and the thoughts were am I going to be a first boardsie to hand in a zero card 🤔🤔🤔, I said same to spacecoyote on the course and I must give a huge thank you to break80 for encouraging me to stick at it, I started scoring on the 5th. It was a slog, and I improved on the back 9 when the conditions got tougher from the 8th to 17th. In the end I had a total of 29 pts, golfgraffix was correct when it wouldn't be enough for the bfh 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thanks again for the company and chats on the course break80 and Jarrieta.

The course, the facilities, staff and restaurant were so welcoming and brilliant. Would love to play there again. Great craic and chats afterwards in the restaurant.

Played better in the captains drive scramble today albeit arriving late as I slept in.

Looking forward to seeing you all and playing Arklow.

The key thing for next outing 🙏🙏🙏🙏 no Sonia's

Snackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well go back about 30 years ago and I spent a few family holidays in the Burrow Camp site next door to Rosslare Golf Club. I recall playing the course with my dad but it was equally possible I only caddied and played a few holes here and there. Either way, I didn't remember a thing about the place. I've been back to Rosslare a number of times since, but never ventured up as far as the golf club. My brother in law joined as a member there last year and has been telling me that it is a lovely course. He wasn't wrong. I was hoping to make the trip down on Friday with a few of the other lads, but heading away next week meant it would be a stretch a bit to far and I was kinda raging on missing out. Have to say, from meeting the very friendly GM beforehand and members coming up asking about our visit, it was one of the most welcoming clubs I've visited. After the round I think the general feeling is that it was a place well worth returning and a course that you wouldn't tire from playing week in week out. It's fun and playable which is not something you can always say about links courses.

I was lucky to have played with VW1 before and remember he has a really good game, but probably just needs a little fine tuning. This time his cousin tagged along with us and she was a very tidy golfer and pleasure to play with. VW played really well. He rode his luck a few times especially after pretty much duffing his second shot on the first hole which just ran and ran all the way up to the green, but you can get those kind of breaks with links golf. He unfortunately 3 putted for 5. He wasn't far from a really great score yesterday and he knows himself he probably left the win out the there on the greens with a few sloppy putts.

I had been playing well lately but links is not always my forte. I had a busy week and been following a workout plan which caught up with me on Wednesday when I hit the wall. I was shattered and it carried through to Saturday and was feeling it through most of the round. However I was tipping along with a good few 2 pointers. Getting lucky if I'm honest, because the shots were not always great, but my putter was working for a change.

As we stood onto the 5th tee box I whipped the phone out to snap a photo but it was not a good idea to look at the text which my wife had sent me. Youngest's passport out of date and we travel on Wednesday 😭 The head dropped and I made a mess of the hole finally getting onto the green in 5 and leaving myself with a 20 footer to save a point, which somehow went in. Again I somehow scrambled a bogey on 6. I hit a decent drive on 7 but not knowing the course, I was a little right and left myself with an awkward stance and lie in the rough. I somehow managed to chase a 5iron up just short of the green and played one of the best chips I've made in a long time to about 3 foot and made the birdie. Head was still fried though about the passport and a 3 putt scratch followed on 8. I got a bit lucky on the 9th that my second shot took a hop over the bunker and made the edge of the green but another 3 putt had me turning with 17 points. Rough on the right of the 10th had me duff my second and a poor chip meant a 5 for a point. I was getting tired, frustrated and with other things on my mind I was hacking at the ball and not even measuring shot distance. Scratch 11. Hack it up 12, about 100 yards out in 3 and I just grab some sort of wedge and went to hit it. NO. A little chat with myself was required. Wait a second and cop on. You have been playing well lately. I know you have hit the wall, but you can still play some decent shots and try grind out a score here for jug points. Every shot counts. So time to laser the pin and change the club. Stuck it to 3 foot and made par. That's better. 13 was short par 4 but into the wind. I hit a good one though and left myself close enough to the green and hit an ok chip of about 40 yards left me with about 15 feet. Like I said the putter was working pretty well on Saturday and it tracked nicely with about 1 foot of break and dropped in the side door for my second birdie of the day. A poor tee shot on the NP hole finished well right in the rough and poor ship saw me make bogey, but concentration kicked in and a solid par, par, bogey followed. A well hit drive on 18 was a bit to far right for my liking as I thought it might leave me blocked out by the trees. But as it happens, I was just about short enough and had sight of the green, 199 to the pin. Wait for the lads ahead to clear the green and flushed it to finish pin high right about 25 foot. I've only ever made 2 eagles in my 37 of years playing golf, 1 being a hole out from 140 yards and the other a chip in from the edge of a par 5 green. This was as good a chance as I've had in years. I gave the putt a great chance, but from the moment it left the club face I knew it was going to miss as I dragged it ever so slightly to the left and it brushed the lower side of the hole. Still nothing wrong with a tap in birdie to finish the round off.

Thanks to all for making the effort to travel to yet another great boards event. Thanks to captain for organising everything. I forgot to bring the laptop with me yesterday to get the scores up afterwards and today was a bit hectic trying to sort the passport and other stuff out. Promise they will be done before I head away, probably Tuesday night as busy tomorrow.

Don't think scores have been posted so

1st Bluenote 40

2nd Golfgraffix 39

3rd Seve OB 38

4th BigChapn 37

5th VW1 36

LD Bluenote

NP FixdePitchmark

2's just the one, Bakerbhoy

As long as I make the flight on Wednesday 🤞I won't be back for the next outing so catch yiz all in Cavan (although a spanner seems to have be thrown in the works for this one, but stubbornness is likely to kick in 😎)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Good scoring, congrats to all the winners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have to echo the sentiments so far, Rosslare was a great course and a perfect society links challenge, a fair test that rewarded good golf without being excessively penal at this time of year. 3-balls were great for pace and everything ticked along at a reasonable clip.

I was part of the small crew that went down to play the open on Friday. Whilst we weren't quite at the levels we had in Strandhill a couple of years ago, it's probably the second strongest winds I've played in. Out with Break80 and Roadrunner, we'd a great day on the course. Scoring was tough, I managed 30 points, which I was very happy with in the conditions, 1 missed tiddler, and one angry moment trapped by a badly placed rake in a fairway bunker were all that prevented it from being a counting round for me, once the PCC was added in. Best score in, from the mens side of the draw on the day was 35 from a member.

Couple of shots from Friday:

On to Friday night, a stay in what can be generously described as basic, and overpriced accommodation, and the always bad idea...a night of drinks before a boards outing. As per usual, a night out involving Fix results in drinking 2 too many so woke up to a seedy feeling on Saturday morning.

Conditions were a lot calmer at the course though, so it looked more playable than the day before. A chat before and the speculation was that we reckoned around the 40 mark could be the winning score (which was right on the mark)

Sluggish first 5-6 holes for me, to be expected with a bit of a hangover, but battled on and eventual felt like I'd come alive. 15 out, and 19 back to finish with 34. To be honest that really does feel like the worst I could have scored on the day. Until maybe the 16th, the longest putt I made was probably 2-3 feet. I actually putted really well I felt, its probably the highest number of 2-3 inch putts that I've ever had. I lagged everything to pretty much dead, but nothing at all dropped. On another day, if even half those putts dropped, I really felt I played the golf, tee to green, that would have put me right in the mix.

Played with Token56 for the second outing in a row. A gent, and a lovely golfer. Has all of the elements to genuinely be a good single digit golfer. When a guy can decide to switch to hitting fades rather than draws with the driver mid round, consciously, and actually do it, you know that there's excellent potential there. A super putter too. Had a mid round dip unfortunately, with a few costly lost balls, but came back and finished very strongly.

Have played with Kevs a couple of times now, and he's a sound man and a nice golfer. Got off to a painful start, finding the heavy stuff on the first, resulting in a few hacks to get out and a scratch. But bounced back exceptionally to score 20 points on the front. An amazing 2nd ball birdie on the index 1, after a knocked down tee shot being a highlight. Wheels came off on the back 9 a bit, with tee time struggles being exacerbated by the into and cross winds.

A super day out, everyone seemed to be smiling and enjoying the place.

A great call by Captain Roadrunner to keep the Links swing going.

Couple of Saturday shots to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

..and a selection of high quality bunker escapees.

Break80 on Friday:

Token56 on Saturday:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

@spacecoyote the last photo is pure class, that should be the boards cover photo. What a capture 👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Another Fantastic day with Boards as the Sun split the sky's as always on a boards outing 😉 I had the pleasure of playing with Bluenote & Pakman two lads I know. Bluenote is like my personal sat nav at this stage 😂 As we have played a bit together the last few outings. Unfortunately I was in a rush to get home as I had a hot date lined up. So got a switch of tee times by chance but meant I literally had to run onto the first tee. No warm up nothing something of a pet hate of mine as it it makes me anxious..

The two boys got off to a flyer and I really felt the pressure especially as I still hadn't settled but managed to scrape 17 pts on the front 9 but as Bluenote rightly said from 8th on the wind will be in our faces and he was 100% right how he remembers courses so well is beyond me.. He must be doing secret missions down a few weeks before 😂 As I couldn't remember the course in detail now and only having played it Saturday. But is whole game was on and his distance of the tee for such a slow back swing is unreal. @bluenote your game is wasted in Corbellis you need to move 😂 Pakman was very unlucky a lot of putts just edged the cup. How some of them didnt drop was beyond me... My own putting was terrible.. And not having any practice putts killed me. The course is not the place to find the pace of the greens especially when you miss a 4 footer at the start of round! Putting is the strongest part of my game and I had about 5 3 putts I literally never 3 putt.. On the 10th I think it was a par 3 167 yds straight into a 3 club wind. I stitched my 4I into a foot I actually taught I was holing it a one point.. Tap in for a 2 & my second birdie of the day walked up & stupidly said to myself in my head this is for The Masters and missed it 🙈 what goes through my head at times Ill never know 😂 I'd make that putt with my eyes closed 100% of the time! And it really rocked me for the next few holes. Then taught of my bet with Tiger and said man pull it together else ill lose that in which I did a bit and limped home to beat him by a point 😁. So not a bad day after all. Plus the date went well too 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

One of the great things about playing in the boards society is getting to play new courses. So when I saw Rosslare on the list for this year, having played it just last year.... I was absolutely delighted, because it's such a brilliant course! When I played it last year it was one of the windiest days I've ever played in and it was blowing in the opposite direction to yesterday. So I had played Rosslare before, but not the same one as Saturday. Sure isn't that one of the great things about links golf?

I was out with @pakman and @benny79 in the first group and had a great time with them. I think we all played very well - I don't think Pakman scratched a single hole and could easily have had a big score. Benny has always played well with me and nearly got into the twos on 10 after a fantastic tee shot. But I suspect the bird he was most interested in was the one he was legging it back to Dublin for after the round (who was 28 and asked him out!). Benny - I sincerely hope that went well for you!

While there was some rubbish in my round, I obviously played very well overall. I had a lesson back in January to try to sort out my setup. I knew how I was setting up was daft, but there was logic to it and it had improved my over the top swing. But I was still prone to occasional big pulls or huge slices, so wanted to see if I could narrow that dispersion. After a few rounds this year and a couple of range sessions it was starting to work and then I had had two very promising rounds in the last couple of weeks. 38 points in a club comp in Corballis (first time playing to my handicap in a comp there since January 2020) and then winning the first round of the club matchplay. I had two scratches, but also 9 pars and a birdie on 16 holes. So if I could just keep the ball alive, I'd be in with a good chance of good score.

Pakman posed the question on the second - do I prefer the days in tough conditions on the course or those days with perfect conditions? It's a good question and the answer has to be both and everything else too. Those days where it's hard to keep your balance swinging the club due to the wind are hilarious. And the sunny days we all dream of are an absolute treat. Saturday was obviously inbetween and made for a very interesting round. With the wind you could really get the ball down there. With all due respect to my input on this site, I had talked some brown on the distance thread, so I'll admit I was hoping to get a good one away for the LD hole. We were first out and I was fearful I'd duff it up the fairway but be the only one on it and have to stick down a marker with my name on it at 200 yards after all my talk. So to hit my longest drive of the day on that hole was satisfying, I won't pretend otherwise. I still didn't get the birdie on that hole by the way. I pulled my wedge into the greenside bunker and made a decent par. I won't be a twat and give out about making a par though. Just to skip ahead in the round for a minute, I was sickened with the par I made on 12 - an utter waste of two great shots to give myself an eagle putt. Anyway, to go on....

The course just changed when you turned on the 8th. And the problem with the wind isn't just what it will do to your ball, it's what it does to your mind! Suddenly you're thinking about keeping your ball flight down and overcompensating based on how far you think the wind will bring your ball back in or thinking the wind has died down because your tee box is slightly sheltered. Certainly for me once I'm playing into the wind I can lose track of where my mind is going and forget to just hit the ball. So after hitting the long drive on 7, I practically topped it on 9. Then pulled it not that far from the rough linking the course to the beach on 11 (that hole does not play along the coast). I switched to the three wood for 13 and 15 and hit them a mile up in the air (and not terribly far forward). But a few bad shots in a round are to be expected and I was quite happy not to let them ruin my overall score and the good work I'd done early in the round. Starting with two birdies on the first three holes is a far better start then I could ever hope for. I got up and down for bogeys on 4 and 5 - doubles there would have cancelled out those early birdies. I also hit some nice low half 8 irons / 9 irons into the wind during the round. One of my reasons for staying in Corballis is to force myself to learn those shots and I think after 4 years there I'm finally starting to get the hang of them. And then I finished strong - a good par on 16 on a very tricky green. I was lucky to stay out of a bunker on 17 and came through with a bogey. And I gave the bird a go on 18, but finished with a solid par.

So thanks as every to the organisers and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to stay for the prizes. It was a great choice of course and everything ran as smoothly as ever. I'm very disappointed to be missing at least the next two events. I'm away for Arklow and have a baby due the week of Slieve Russell. I'd absolutely love to play both of those courses, I hear nothing but great things. So enjoy them lads, I'll keep an eye on the thread to make myself jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Another memorable day out with my "virtual" friends as my youngfellas slag me with. It truely is a unique society where we can come together from all corners of Ireland with just a shared account on a website and create something which is so enjoyable. I always leave in the evening of a Boards event hankering for the next event!

Rosslare was completely new for me and I had checked the course map on the excellent App before hand. But as always with links golf, I knew that whatever I was looking at would only reveal itself once we got there and saw what mother nature had in store. On Friday at home, I was wondering if the course would be playable but thankfully Saturday was a pet day.

I had the please of playing with @Manhatton and @weapon of grass destruction and we had a terrific experience. Manhatton is a very tidy golfer and only on the back 9 when he properly got his driver going, did he achieve what he could. An excellent drive on 17 and a very smooth mid-iron from the fairway to 4 feet (left hand ball) for a tap in birdie was probably his highlight. Manhatton also had the delight of a visit from Sonia on the 8th (@Snackbox20) to keep his 5-iron "under the wind" and roll all the way to 15 foot pin high. Unfortunately, he couldn't cash in! He is also probably the only person I've played golf with who actually understands what I do for a living!

As Manhatton made mention of, WGD just being able to play golf and walk around for 4 hours of an afternoon is a result in it's own right. But he also possesses a serious game. He can drive the ball a mile and with a bit of refinement, he will compete in a society outing. Hitting the 18th in 2 to 15 feet and then ending with a 3-putt par probably sums up his day. But I imagine just getting out there is winning for him.

For myself, I was solid enough but 1 or 2 poor chips mainly left me with 1 pointers instead of 2's. Solid drive on the Index 1 and I had a 6-iron in hand. Duffed it about 60 yards down the fairway. Put a wedge to 10 feet and sank the putt for an unlikely par was probably the highlight. That and a 3-w to the front of 17 probably are the shots I will remember most.

But overall, this day was more about the place, the weather, the course (agree with everyone here that it is one of the most playable yet challenging links out there) and the company is what makes it so special. Many thanks to Captain @RoadRunner and all the members of the committee. Congrats to the winners. Can't wait now for Arklow.

5th tee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Excellent day out, and as was mentioned earlier a small contingent made the trip up on Friday to play in the open the day beforehand and make a weekend of it staying overnight in Wexford. Cracking weekend from start to finish!

Busy in work this week, so I'll just cut to the chase to announce my golf as being very poor, but delighted to be surrounded by great company and good times for all of it. I played my round with alanm and bohtoffee. The best company and the best golfers. Bohtoffee's good shots are better that any shots anyone in the society can make and his ceiling is incredible high, however alanm's worst shots are consistently better than anyone else's worst shots in the society, the key to scoring well. His floor is higher than anyone I play with and as such he is the lowest handicap golfer I know.

Congrats blue note on an excellent round and truly impressive long drive, I was still behind you after two shots. Golfgraffix on a second place and 2 lowest gross rounds back to back. Seveob on a nice round too, kudos too for all the help too for getting the cards set up for this one seve - I was getting stressed. Also good friend bigchap back up at the pointy end of the score board where he belongs.

As a society we had a previous booking with Rosslare that couldn't go ahead due to the pandemic, so was great to finally to make it happen this year. Rosslare as a course and club were a pleasure in every way. Everyone I spoke to there was friendly and pleasant. The course is stunning and very fair and reminded me at times of a cross between Portmarnock old and Royal Dublin, but with the added bonus of a nicer welcome than the big Dublin clubs and without antiquated shirt/tie dress codes or separate areas designated for visitors/members etc. Other nice touches in clubhouse included a personal welcome message put out to our group. Also nice to see a top links course actively celebrate a long history of female inclusion in their club dating all the way back to 1939 complete with photos proudly documenting every lady captain since. I spent a moment looking at that just before leaving for my trip home and smiled to myself on another classy touch compared to the big traditional links clubs of Dublin. As I drove home I pondered relocating my life to the south west EAST permanently and moving my home club to Rosslare forever. So as good a venue for the outing as I could pick I think... and I didn't even play well 🤣

This I guarantee.. I will play Rosslare again and I will score well!

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Probably last to post like I'm always one of the last to leave.

I enjoyed the craic after as much as the round itself. Collected 2 fivers but had to hand 1 out so a profit is a profit in my book. I was 1 of the nuts who played Friday. Wind was a big issue but loved the course. I was confident of a respectable score Saturday if the wind dropped as forecast.

Played with Snackbox and Jarrieta 2 gents and great company on the course. Snackbox had a horror start but knuckled down to bring in a decent score in the end. Fair play.

Played numerous rounds with Jarrieta and he goes about his business nice and steady with the minimum of fuss always. I could learn a thing or 2 from him regarding my game.

I'm not one to remember every shot but the gameplan was to score on the way out with the wind and try survive on the way back against the wind which I did with 19 out and 15 back. Room to improve but probaly my best score on a tough links ever with this society so happy with that. Arklow might be a revelation, I might have finally got my head around links courses and whole new club set up might have bedded in by then.

Doubt it but live in hope.

Anyway Thanks as always to the silent backround who put so much work into making the day run smoothly ever time.

Congratulations to Roadrunner who has made this year one of the greats even after only 2 outings.

BREAK 80 (SOON)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Not the last Break80! Finally getting some time to sit down and post my own thoughts. Like a few others, I was lucky enough to be able to head down early and play on the Friday. I've enjoyed playing the main course a few times before during family holidays down that way (and also the 12 hole burrow course which is a great fun too), it's certainly a course I would happily play week in/week out... even in the really strong winds!

Had the pleasure of playing with our captain RoadRunner and BohToffee. Captaincy duties does mean that RR has a lot to do and not much time to warm up for his own game and this unfortunately led to quite a slow start. There were plenty of evidence of what a good golfer he is with some cracking shots during the day. I've played with BohToffee a couple of times and I've learned pretty quickly not to check what club he's pulled out because it bears absolutely no resemblance to what I'll be needing! If he'd played the front 9 as well as he did the back, he definitely would've been close to featuring!

With the wind easing and my game in pretty good shape, I was quietly confident that a decent round was possible and the front 9 went fairly well, turning 3 over and 17 pts. Was still going reasonably well until the second shot onto the drivable par 4 (13th?), hit a lovely layup to be 50 yds from the flag - normally a good place for me to be, unfortunately I hit it over the back and failed twice to get it back on (trying to be a bit too cute!) resulting in a scratch. Recovered reasonably well until a wayward 3w on 17 that resulted in the first lost ball of the 2 days and a second scratch. Finished the round nicely getting onto the 18th in 2 and a comfortable 2 putt birdie.

Some lovely grub and a bit of a chat in the clubhouse afterwards ended a nice couple of days! Congrats to all the winners, some great scoring. Thanks captain and all the other helpers for making the day such a success and catch you all in Arklow in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 weapon of grass destruction

My first outing with the group and was an absolute great day. Great course had a cracking day. Got the pleasure to play with @boccy23 and @Manhatton the two lads spent more time helping me track down my ball than playing their own shot. The two lads were hitting some great shots and we had great craic. I'd love to play the course again ,now that I've an idea where not to go.

Highlight of the day was an Eagle putt on the 18th, low point getting a par on the 18th. All in all it was a great experience. Fair play to the captain all involved who organised it, it was class day and can't wait for the next round.

Congrats to the winner.

Can't believe nobody picked this out yet

As I drove home I pondered relocating my life to the south west permanently and moving my home club to Rosslare forever.

you'll have a bloody long drive to the golf course in that case 🤣

Yep noticed that.Just reckoned south east could be south west of where he lives so said nothing😂

Do you think he lives in North Wales ? 🤣😂

Eh no..you dont think everyone heads southeast to wexford surely.Thats silly

• Advertisement

Ah dont.

BTW @RoadRunner would you head SW or SE to get to Rosslare?😂

AHA! I put the latitude of Rosslare clubhouse into google but with my own Dublin based longitude (east/west position) which gives a point out in the sea about 5km off the east coast. So, TECHNICALLY, when I travel to Rosslare, I travel Due South and slightly West from where I am currently living 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

classic RR

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

And if Auntie had ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

What a cracking day Saturday was, great course, great company and my best away score in years.

I was part of the crew that went down the night before but due to workload I couldn't play, which might have been a godsend as I generally don't have two good games in a row. We had a nice dinner along with a few drinks, in bed nicely toasted for 1.30am. Woke for breakfast at 8.30, went for a walk and then a little snooze before checkout, the perfect way to prepare for a game.

Arrived at the course 45 mins before hand, Rosslare are one of our oldest customers so was nice to spend a few mins catching up with the staff. I thought we were looked after very well, many courses could take it as a lesson on how to treat visitors. A big shout out to Jerry, the GM, Jamie the Pro and Derek the Bar Manager.

As Fix said, we had a cracking three ball with Myself, Fix and Bakerbhoy. I have played so much with Fix over the years and its always a pleasure, I have often thought that if Brendan Behan played golf it would be like playing with Fix. Handn't played with Bakerbhoy before and that too was a pleasure, I love when you get into a rhythm early with your playing partners. Both played well but a few errors cost them a good score, good craic all the way around.

Started well myself, birdied the 1st from the fairway side bunker and continued on from there. Was 1 over gross at the turn and tipping away nicely, back nine was much tougher with the wind and came back in 4 over gross, a silly 3 putt on 18 cost me the win but I had my fair share of luck elsewhere. Given I had a 3 shot cut from Corballis, I was very happy with the score, actually I think the cut my have had me more focused.

I knew Bluenote was going well in front of me, was watching them tee off on 17 and thought (hoped :)) he had hit the fairway bunker, hard not to make bogey or worse from there. But fair play to him he held his score together and 40 points should always win in my book.

Highlight of the day for me was explaining to Tiger, what Scampi is, as if he never had it before !!

Roll on Arklow and well done to Mick and the lads for setting it all up.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Sorry for the late update, crazy times as I am house hunting, 2 weeks ago I was bidding for a house in Rosslare Harbour, definitely hoped to join Rosslare, but that is gone now, so we will see where we end.

Cracking day, very enjoyable with @Snackbox20 and @Break80 , they both played really well, pity the slow start of Snackbox20, he could have had a really good score otherwise. We had a really good time, I didn't feel I played as bad as my score showed, but it was the same when I played last time in Rosslare 8 years ago... What a cracking course, and again, really great company. Not sure if I will be able to play Arklow, I know that course well as I try to play it at least a couple of times per year, really like that track too.

Adding some piccies I took on the day

Hard to have houses you're bidding on slip away 😓 Best of luck with the house search. Excellent photos by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Great photos all and special mention to Fix , great thoughts on the round and trip in general!! Gutted to have missed it , looking forward to Arklow ……

PP

Advertisement