Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Gas Fire

Options
  • 24-02-2023 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m considering replacing a wood burning stove with an insert gas fire (one with a glass front).

I’d like to hear from somebody who has experience of using one of them as the as the sole source of heat in a small sitting room. Is a fire like this capable of heating a room to a comfortable temperature?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm going the other direction to you, but my room is not small (its about 26m2) and the gas fire was not only broken, the chimney had been blocked with a brick. Yes, you can probably do this, but unless the wood stove is very old, the efficiency level of the gas fire is likely to be lower. You can however get "high efficiency" gas stoves, and the kind of chimney needed to house a gas fire is smaller than that of a stove. However, the catch is that mostly gas fires are only 2-3kw whereas wood stoves are usually 4-7kw. But if its a small room and not open plan you are probably ok. The biggest difficulty is probably going to be finding a suitable fire and installer.

Advertisement