Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Hayes interview on Newstalk

• 24-02-2023 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭

I think this is worthy of a thread.

Anyway, this interview is just outstanding.

Liam Hayes was a very prominent public figure in the 1980s as a footballer and in the 1990s as a media figure. The interview is wide ranging, covering health and family tragedy, not so much the events themselves but the impact and how people dealt with them. The link does come with a disclaimer, its challenging at times.

Since this is a GAA thread, & to focus on the football aspect, I really enjoyed and appreciated his comments on Jacko.

In my lifetime, I guess before Clifford came along, there was only one period where you had one player that was universally regarded as by a country mile the best player in the country and that was mid 1980s when Jacko was in his prime. Hayes talks a bit about him here and why he was so great. I think the GAA world probably doesnt give Jacko the credit he deserves for quite how good he was, and this was a nice reminder.

Also, superb job by the interviewer, brilliantly done.

The Liam Hayes interview | Newstalk

Comments

Advertisement