Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E10 Fuel in older Mercruiser inboard?

Options
  • 24-02-2023 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if this going to be a major problem for boats, the government only mention cars, I've an 88 Mercruiser 4.3 inboard, from reading up on this E10 Fuel it sounds like it can cause a lot of damage if left sitting more than a couple of weeks due to water absorption.

Am I looking at replacing a lot of parts, fuel lines, fuel tank, carbs etc.

The government website says it doesn't expect garages to continue supplying anything besides E10 and my local Marina only sells diesel.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You should be fine just don't let the fuel sit for more than 90 days or if you do mix it with new fuel, there might some issues with rubber gasket, O rings and fuel lines so keep an eye on them and do a regular service. They have had this in the USA since the 70's chevy engines are GM motors same as mercruiser and they still go boating 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks, didn't realise they've been using it in the states that long, had me a bit panicked as it's so old was really worried about a fire risk with fuel lines etc.

I'll get the workshop to give it a good going over before I drop it back in for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

From what I’ve heard the main issues stem firstly from condensation and secondly from corrosion. Currently petrol is 5% and diesel 7% content from renewables i.e. derived from plants. The new uplift is to E10 petrol (10% ethanol content).The diesel equivalent is B10 diesel, where the B stands for biodiesel and the 10% is fatty acid methyl ester (FAME). These organic additions are hygroscopic, i.e. they absorbs water from the atmosphere. So when your fuel is sitting in the tank(s) it will absorb water which will, under changing climate conditions, condense on the exposed inner walls of the fuel tank, absorb bacteria and mould will grow. The condensation drips down into the fuel and causes further contamination ('diesel bug'). This occurs more frequently in fuel tanks where a boat remains unused for long periods of time.

Older engines will run, but seals, plastics and metals may be damaged over longer periods as a result of bioethanol's corrosive properties. In the UK motorists with petrol cars registered prior to 2002 have been advised not to use E10 fuels.

I keep my tanks (diesel) topped up to minimise the airspace within and use a fuel additive (biocide) to keep it sterilised.

Advertisement