Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone broadband for wood log cabin .

Options
  • 25-02-2023 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Help needed ! Looking to get wi fi for a wood log cabin that's going be an extra living space / office . it's within 30m of existing router . my original plan was to use an external cat cable from router out to a 2nd router . But vodafone won't let sell me a second router ! so now i don't know whether get a third party router and try and configure it myself ( will they even let me do that 😤) or i was thinking maybe getting that vodafone super wi fi to extend signal but i don't know how reliable that is . I don't know about getting a second provider in either could i get digiweb or some for example to plug into access point and pay for a 2nd provider for the cabin ? any advice greatly appreciated because i am stuck here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Use a 3rd party router. You just need to plug it in to your existing router and it will likely work. Any Ethernet port on existing router to any Ethernet port on your 3rd party router. You can then if like, advance the set up so it has the same wifi SSID. But this isn't essential. You don't need to worry about configuring it to Vodafone as it usees the internet from your existing Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Also if you need devices in the cabin and main house to be on the same network(for data sharing or other reasons) or you need to have seemless wifi between then you can set 3rd party router up in bridge mode or access point mode. Most 3rd party routers would have instructions for this. But again this is optional as just plugging it in will likely work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You dont need second provider to extend your network, Ethernet run is very good decision

You can use third party, however

You just need to plug it in to your existing router and it will likely work

.........................................................................................................................

But again this is optional as just plugging it in will likely work.

No it wont. It either will not work(no internet in cabin) or can take your entire network down. You must configure it in AP mode, where option available, or manually disable DHCP, set other network metrics to match your VF. But that is simple

You could just get simple network switch for Ethernet connections, but for WiFi require dedicated AP (Aruba "Instant ON", Ubi, etc)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Best option would be to run ethernet out to the cabin. You could put in a simple switch or hub in there if you want to hardwire a few devices, or just straight in to your computer.

Another option are homeplugs, they can give a reasonable connection if the cabin is on the same electrical connection. Definitely not as fast, but quick and easy if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

This is correct. You don't need a second router, just a switch. If you just need wifi, buy an access point instead and plug the lan cable into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

thanks for the input guys!

Advertisement