Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry picker question

Options
  • 25-02-2023 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My farmer husband has hired a cherry picker for three days. He was up on it all day today, very productive, but he can't get it going now. He can get the lift thing to go up and down, but he can't get the actual machine part to move around now, the engine part I mean. Any body got any advice on why this might happen? It's fuelled up. There's a lot of bad language being used ......help !

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If I remember right, there is safety feature in them that stops you over stretching dangerously, like going out too far in the wrong direction. I think there is a level sensor in them too. Is he operating on level ground?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

On some you can't maneuver the ground unit until the basket and arm is in retracted driving position...is the husband trying to move it with the arm extended or out to one side etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mintybells

No he has it retracted in. These lights are flashing, any idea what these mean?

Thanks for your reply, we so clearly haven't a clue what we're doing.

He is operating on level ground.

These lights are flashing

Thanks for your reply.

It's the drive that won't work he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Make and model of cherry picker?

It's 450AJ JLG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A few things to check, you have to keep a safety button, or floor pedel pressed while working the drive levers, there also may be a switch you need to press to change from lifting to driving, also check is there a sensor on the basket door to make sure it's closed properly

Thank you....we tried everything....and gave up .....he's going to call a guy out tomorrow. It's a waste of a days hire money, but it is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Try sending the boom out to the max then pull it back. When pulling back in hold the button down an extra couple of seconds when its fully retracted. Sometimes the boom is not fully back in even if you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

One on left the Boom Control Warning. Indicates that platform is outside of its operating area or might be in contact with something. One on right indicates that the Platform Capacity indicator. Are there any items on it? It's not an overload, as it is a red indicator.

As the Boom Warning is flashing (presume you are trying to move it when it flashes) there is a fault with the system. The lightning strike within the triangle is the System Distress Indicator. There will be a fault code stored in the machine.

Would anything have bethrown onto the platform and either damaged something or put it out of range? Either way, looks like it needs serviced to clear the fault codes.

Nothing thrown onto the platform. He's only used it one day, but yes you're right, it will have to be looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Did he get down or is he still stuck up in it :-)

He got down lol :-). Guy he rented it from reset it for him. Said these new cherry pickers have very sensitive sensors and often cut out .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Glad he's sorted.

What did it cost for the 3 days. I'm thinking of hiring one in the summer.

I think it cost £300 for 3 days at the weekend. We're up north.

Advertisement