Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU/GPU ?

Options
  • 26-02-2023 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Upgrading an old PC soon and I was thinking of going with AMD I was just wondering If its possible that I can use an RYZEN CPU with a NVIDIA RTX card ? but, What about a monitor then. Can I use a monitor that has both G sync and AMD freesync ??? I want to play my Xbox and have AMD for that. Then use G sync for PC gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes, you 100% can use Nvidia RTX with both an AMD Ryzen CPU and G-Sync/Freesync.

You would not be able to use G-Sync if you had an AMD Radeon graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

Whats the best to go for a gaming set up for consoles and a PC ??? a TV, a widescreen monitor or a monitor the size of a TV say 32" and up to 42"

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

These days yes . any CPU and GPU combination will work . Same can be said for gsync and free sync . We are not back in the early days of nvidia and AMD where you needed motherboards with chipsets designed for nvidia or ATI . All that support got moved to sotware and firmware when PCIE got introduced .

Its all about use case , space and budget . each has their pros and cons

TVs .

Pros . Higher HDR levels , better autio , smart TV and general tv functionality .Sony tvs have android so apps can be sideloaded . Can play movies from a USB , or stream music . Cons . need to sit further away so it fill your field of view and is not beyond it . Brightness levels become uncomfortable close up , Highh refresh rates usually mean extremely high price tag .€1000 or higher . Refresh rates still lower than a gaming monitor .

Monitors .

Pros . High refresh rates , low latency . Cheaper compared to TVs . LED lgihting for the Rainbow puke gang . Curved screens . Some have built in usb and thunderbolt . Cons , Lower HDR standards , Usually poor audio compared to a tv , if they have speakers at all . Some have a single HDMI and DP connectors so you need research what to buy .

I have both for my family . SInce the wife also enjoys gaming i built a powerful system so i could run 2 virtual machines . Have have a wired mouse and keyboard and a wirless mouse and keyboard . SO when the kids are in bed we can play games without having to have another monitor . I also have a playstation and a 4x2 4 k 144hz HDMI kvm switch . so whether i am on the monitor or the tv i can get into my virtual machine or be on the playstation . Yes its a bit of a faf . doing it this way but in my case it was a no brainer . I spent 4grand on gpus , the tv was 1500 euro and the montior was a grand . Needless to say i didnt want to spend another grand on a monitor . SO 150 euro on the hdmi switch and cables made sense .

On that note for you its all about what you can afford , space available and your use case . if its for your use only then a monitor is perfectly fine . IF the monitor hasnt speakers get a soundbar and plug the pc and console into it . IF its multiplayer with the mates on the console , watching a movie or tv , streaming music or pc gaming when nobdy is around . Then a TV is the way to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Slight correction, G-Sync will not work on AMD Radeon cards (though the monitors usually also have Freesync which works with AMD, Nvidia & Intel).

TVs are not a good shout for computing applications as most of them use 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling vs 4:4:4 on monitors (more info here) - basically makes text very hard to read.

Since OP mentioned Xbox, I suppose a 32" 1440p monitor with Freesync makes the most sense.

G-sync does work with AMD cards . However you really can get into the weeds there as certain g-sync monitors will work with amds free sync .

As for TVs as monitors i wasnt advocating it . Its use case and cost . Op has options if he needs it . Also that statement you made about tvs also applies to monitors .Not all tvs and monitors are equal becuase the 32Gb/s bandwith in HDMI 2.1 is is an option for the standard not a requirement .

As for the 32" free sync monitor statement . i agree with that as xbox and PS5 are both AMD custom hardware .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TVs are not a good shout for computing applications as most of them use 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling vs 4:4:4 on monitors (more info here) - basically makes text very hard to read.

I agree that there are few TVs that are good for PC gaming (but fine for consoles) due to input lag and lack of HDMI 2.1, but that is not an issue with the likes of the LG C9/CX/C1/C2, and that range covers the last four years, although the only desktop-usable one is the 42" C2. That will do 4:4:4 at 120Hz in PC mode and is a relatively sane 1100 eur, although for the same money you can get the ultrawide AW3423DWF.

OLED still not as good for text clarity as an LCD monitor due to the OLED subpixel layout but that's only an issue if using it all day for detail work.

The perfect monitor doesn't yet exist but IMO you can't go far wrong with a decent 27-32" 16:9 1440p at under 600 eur, and the options better than that are really gilding the lilly. Monitors Unboxed and RTINGS do good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

Sorry I forgot to mention what my set up is and for what I need in terms of resolution and refresh rate. Set up would be just for gaming and watching movies. Set up is a PC that will have an ASUS RoG strix b660-g gaming wifi motherboardan a RTX 3090 and an AMD ryzen CPU Also in the set up would be the last gen consoles Xbox one X and a Playstation 4 which is 1080p but, Id like to maybe go up to 1440p or 4k for PC and the consoles. Just need a decent refresh rate for 4K gaming. Which would be best a TV or a Monitor ??? Are widescreen monitors any good for gaming ? Can I get a display that can do all resoultions 1080p 2k and 4k in one monitor ?

No matter what screen you buy you can run games @1080p on both 4k TVs and monitors .

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

And a B660 motherboard is for an Intel cpu. Not that it makes any difference to the monitor/tv but you don't want to buy an Intel socket board for an AMD cpu. You likely want a B550 board.

I think the XBox One X and PS4 will "only" do 60Hz so the refresh rate is only a factor for PC gaming until you upgrade your console(s). The PS5 and XBox Series can support 120Hz.

How far you are going to be from the screen is first and biggest factor here (well budget is obviously the real first thing) in terms of the size of screen you might want which will probably decide monitor or tv for you as big monitors and small tvs aren't generally realistic options. If it's all about couch gaming and movie watching sitting 2m+ from the screen then you are going to want a TV but if you are going to be sitting at a not very deep desk pushed up against a wall a 42" TV is either right at the limit or likely beyond it (if you had a 21" screen now you could stick your face half as far away as you would be to get an idea how giant it would be or do the quick maths for whatever screen you have handy).

The kinds of games you mostly like to play should probably be the deciding factor in narrowing things down from there assuming you don't just want to spend whatever premium it takes for "the best" that fits. For racing games in particular an ultrawide monitor is great, for FPS and other twitchy type games refresh rate would be the priority and if it's mostly slower paced immersive type games or movies you really care about you might lean towards focusing on 4K, HDR and the best screen technology you can find in the size you need over the temptations of refresh rate or ultrawide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is my setup. I use a 24" Samsung 60Hz 1080p monitor for general browsing and old games. Then I have a 49" LG 120Hz Tv with adaptive sync for gaming on my Xbox series X and also to hook up to my 7900 XTX when I do gaming on my PC. I wouldn't use the Tv as a full time monitor as it isn't practical. I use a controller while gaming on PC so a Tv is the best option for me. If you use a keyboard and mouse a big Tv is no use to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement