Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consolidating Files- Technology Platform choice ?

Options
  • 26-02-2023 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am approaching retirement and plan on investing in a new home computer laptop. Over the past 20+ years I have used both Windows and Mac/iOS operating systems as follows: - Have an 11 year old iMac desktop with many files stored ( especially large number of AV files). Lost old MS subscriptions during memory upgrade and system is now too old to take a MS Office upgrade so while I can still access all MS files stored I cannot open them so I have to replace it. - Have another Dell desktop with large numbers of 10 yd old Sony video files which can only be accessed on a Windows platform - My work computer environment for decades has been a windows laptop and I have many personal files in that system which I will have to transfer to my new home system before I retire in 6 months - I have been using a work iPhone for business and personal use and have many photo and video files both on it and on cloud storage : I plan to continue on retirement with an i Phone ( only definite decision I have made ). - I also have an iPad mini for occasional browsing I am pretty comfortable on either tech platform so personal system accessibility/use is not a factor in my choice . I am tying to decide when i’m the coming month I purchase a new higher end personal laptop which tech platform might give me least compatibility issues : justvfyj - one intention on retiring is to go back and try and consolidate all of our historic family AV files into a single central family archive location vs the 4 different Mac and Windows systems that I am using all of whom have old files on them . I am genuinely on a ‘see-saw’as to which direction I should consider with different considerations weighing on me such as : more cost effective and broader software range Windows options vs very reliable and strong Mac AV editing environment. Thank you for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I guess access to files from different platforms start when you use proprietary formats, that might be set by default on different devices/apps, to create them. Not apple user, but believe even they support MP4 and other, non-proprietary formats - go settings and change output format.

There is ways to convert them from one format to another, but this would be time and resource demanding task, potential of loss of original file quality.

There is software, that would be able to read them in original state, irrelevant to platform you use. e.g VLC player can handle variety of formats and can run on different OS.

My choice of platform is based on usability/reliability/versatility/flexability, not by strings that manufacturers introduce/enforce just to keep you "locked" to their brand by proprietary "money milking machine", whether it is ms , apple or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Kinsailor

Thank you for that helpful advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There are free apps like libre office that can open Microsoft documents. I think they are on the Mac.

Likewise as others have said there are free media apps which can do the same.

Get the mac if you like the Mac. There are workarounds for most things.

Advertisement