Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

f stops and getting everything in focus in photos on mobile phones

Options
  • 26-02-2023 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hi all, its one of those questions you cannot decide should go in the mobile phone category or photography category on boards , but anyway i will try here . so here is a couple of questions:

the camera lens on my phone is I think f/1.8 fixed aperture. - I think thats to let as much light into the sensor for better low light and night photography . Is there any phone out there that goes from say f/1.8-f/11 variable or is that just not technically possible to put a feature of f1.8-f11 aperture on a mobile phone?

The camera apps I use or have downloaded from the play store will allow you to adjust speed and shutter... but have no f aperture settings (is this because the phone does not support aperture setting so therefore does not allow in the app or is it a limitation of the app?)

The problem I tend to find is sometimes if I ham taking a photo of something near and far is that I am getting a high depth of field (front object in focus and rear objects out of focus) instead of all in focus, manual focus setting in the app(s) dont help because if i manually select the rear object focus the the object in front then is out of focus) -

Is there any other way I can get all in focus (front and distance objects in sharp focus) with the lens at such a wide aperture of f1.8?

i have tried manual focus , that matrix thing to select whole screen not just spot focus, speed settings, iso settings, exposure settings. not really getting what i want .

Is there any android phone out there with variable f stops on the camera part? - through my searching they all seem to be fixed around f1.8 or lower.

Thanks,

Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think what you are looking for is wide depth of field.

What phone is it?

Try any landscape modes, if the phone has any.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Thanks, Samsung A52 5G - the stock camera seems to have just 3 angles at bottom of screen. 1 is wide angle but its too fisheye effect if you know what I mean, middle is normal lens and not distorted and not fisheye but then I get the narrow depth of field and the third icon is telephoto a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Try the pro settings but not on the UW.

Advertisement