Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial tax 5 seater SUV 4x4

Options
  • 26-02-2023 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Can any of the newer 4x4s with a second row of seats be taxed as a commercial? Not a pickup truck crew cab type but an SUV type that can tow at least 2,500kg.

I heard that the older models of the Land Rover Discovery, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Mitsubishi Pajero, VW Touareg, Toyota Land Cruiser etc could be taxed as commercial but not the newer ones. 

Was there a change made to the rules at some stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno what year but a change was brought in that stopped 5 seater jeeps like landcruiser discovery etc from being commercial. afaik the load carrying area has to be separate from the cabin. Only effects the years after the change was brought in I think. Was it 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimbo789

Is it possible to buy a privately taxed vehicle that was manufacturer before the date rules changed and get it taxed commercially?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

AFAIK it is, lots of paper work involved, it has to be weighed at an approved weigh bridge as well.

Your local coco tax office should have all the forms, I think at least one of them has to be signed and stamped in a Garda station. If you ring the local tax office they’ll post them out to you.

If there is more than 3 months private tax left on it when you are changing to commercial you will get a credit too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnfrank1967

Advertisement