Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire - Faro

Options
  • 27-02-2023 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I know that this has probably been asked before, but could anybody recommend a car hire company out of Faro Airport.

Heading to the Algrave in May and need to hire a car for a week, and was just wondering if there were any particular car hire companies that we should use/avoid?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thnaks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Avoid Centauro like the plague. Booked an automatic with them a couple of years ago. Was in the office an hour and a half trying to sort out the booking only to be eventually told that they don't do automatics. This despite having paid for one on their website. Spent weeks trying to get back the difference between the cost of an auto and the manual we actually got. Got half of what I was owed and just didn't have the will to keep fighting them for the other half. They give cowboys a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've used several different companies over the years and never had a very bad experience with any of them.

The big companies have desks or office/compounds and are very efficient.

Some of them try to upsell the insurance but just decline if you have your own excess policy.

There are few outfits that operate from the car park and are cheaper.

This one is about the best I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

I used Zitauto a few times, no issues and tended to have the best pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Cheers.

Many thanks for that folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jessmilligann

I definitely recommend it. Faro is the best city to start a car trip, so renting a car there is the right decision, I rented at the airport from a local company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

europacar or hertz, both "in terminal" so you dont need to get a bus after ur flight

always get the in terminal car rental personally, less hassle. you will need to walk outside and under the underpass in faro but its no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

also used Zit and think it was the cheapest car rental I have every used. They also took cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

any money lock/hold on card or requirement for credit card with Zit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We used them a good few years ago and they didn't at that time. They just wanted a photo of my passport and driver's license and took the cash! Their process may have changed since then and they were recommended to me by someone from Ireland who has a holiday home there and uses them all the time.

When we went to pay tolls at a local shop we ended up paying for all the previous drivers so be careful of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

went with Zitauto- spent 10mins trying to find them once arrived in Faro.

asked this guy and that guy and eventually landed on a lady dealing rental cars out of the back of her car,lol i kid you not,

270 for 11 days seat leon all bells and whistles-couldnt fault it.

so yes to ZITAUTO look for a lady in P2 with her boot open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement