Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Warning

Options
  • 27-02-2023 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to dispute a warning issued by Raichu in the Wokeism thread.

A post was made about damage to the Quran. A few posts were made in response to this and then Raichu announced that Muslim bashing would not be tolerated and that the topic wasn't up for discussion.

A few posts were added subsequent to this pointing out that there had been no "Muslim bashing". Raichu then posted a warning on thread and said that sanctions would apply. He also said this was being discussed with other mods.

The topic was allowed again but many posts were deleted and this warning added:

I pointed out on thread that my deleted post didn't contain any Islamophobia and had been posted after his first warning which was subsequently deleted. I also said I'd take it to Help Desk if it was deemed off topic. I also referenced the comment in the Feedback thread that mods should ideally avoid moderating threads they post in. (I'd argue that's relevant here as the mod trued to shut down the thread before and then insulted posters in Feedback.) That was then deleted and this added on thread:

So, the mod who has a bias against the thread, had previously closed it for review, then said in Feedback that is was being discussed with other mods before being reopened without any change is now back deciding certain topics are off limits and reversing the decision.

In another thread on relics he posted this:

I don't understand all the inconsistencies. My first post on the topic was reinstated but it lacks context as Raichu deleted his earlier warning and many other posts weren't reinstated, despite none of them being anywhere near Muslim bashing.

Apologies for the screenshots, I can't post links to individual posts on my phone. I'll add screenshots of the pm exchange with the mod in another post.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Again, just to point out there wasn't any muslim bashing at any point.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi @Leg End Reject ,

The warning in question is worth 0 points, by itself it has no impact on your record, there's nothing to dispute here.

Thanks @awec,

It has been explained before that there is an escalation in warnings applied.

I did not dispute a mod warning, I merely pointed out that my post was not off topic. There were several other posts on that thread that were not off topic, but not all were reinstated. I also did not "tell" Raichu where he could and could not post. He's just after asking me if I need things spelled out to me on the same thread, so I would like the warning reviewed please. The mod is clearly biased in his moderation of the Wokeism thread and this was recently discussed in a Feedback thread. I can take the other issues to Help Desk if needed?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hey,

Sorry, had my wires crossed. You can appeal this here. I'll let the CMods know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi Legend

The first step in the DRP process is to discuss the item with the relevant mod. If you have not done that please do so now. If you have done it then please put a copy of the correspondence here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement

Have patience. I have other things on other than boards.

Hi LER

Apologies for the delay but the vanilla site makes doing these reviews onerous on phone so I need to wait for lap top time.

I have reviewed the above and my understanding is that the mod issued an on thread instruction as follows

"RaichuFeb 27, 2023

Also off topic posts deleted. Stay on topic. Don’t discuss mod warnings on thread."

You subsequently discussed the warning on thread in a response to the post above as follows

"My post wasn't off topic, it was directly related to your warning posts which you've deleted.

It was pointed out in feedback that mods should avoid moderating threads they post in.

If this is deemed off topic I'll take it to Help Desk."

Is this the case? If so what is the basis of your appeal?

The basis is that the mod stated that off-topic posts were deleted, but the deleted posts weren't off-topic. My post was reinstated but others weren't.

The background is relevant here as the mod in question closed the thread for review and said it was "As funny as a funeral". We were told it was under review by all the mods and cmods and then it was reopened with no changes. There is a Feedback thread detailing this and other issues.

The same mod then took issue with a link to a tweet about damage to the Quran and issued a warning about Islamophobia, despite there being nothing of the sort on the thread. He declared the topic was not to be discussed, but then backtracked after again discussing it with the other mods and cmods, and said off-topic posts were deleted.

His own post saying the topic was off-limits was deleted along with several others. I pointed out that my deleted post wasn't off-topic, I don't see how that constitutes discussing a mod warning.

Also off topic posts deleted. Stay on topic. Don’t discuss mod warnings on thread."

The first sentence is a statement. The second is a mod warning to stay on topic. As it was suggested on thread that was post was off-topic I don't really think it's unreasonable to point that out on thread.

The mod has made it clear in the previous Feedback thread that he has issues with the thread and is therefore biased, and I don't think my factual statement warrants a warning.

If everyone argued with the mods on threads then the whole moderation process would be brought to its knees.

In this case you could have

1. pmd the mod
    2. pmd the cmod
    3. put it in helpdesk or
    4. moved on with your life

You are here long enough to know that arguing with a mod on thread is not the thing to do

Warning upheld

I didn't argue, I pointed out my post wasn't off-topic.

Advertisement