Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Clerical Officer

• 27-02-2023 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there. I've had an interview for civil service clerical officer & have got an email to say I've been provisionally offered a position Subject to Garda Vetting been completed which may take 2 months. The email says my position is in An Gardai Siochana. Due to caring for a family member I can only work part time. Does anyone know if this will go against me or should I wait until my vetting comes back to discuss this with them or should I look for a contact in HR to discuss now as I don't want to miss out on the opportunity due to my circumstances. I'd be grateful of any advice. Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

I don't believe you can apply for part time/reduced working hours until you are off probation which is a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

Hi OP,

While 2021_AP is correct that new appointees generally have to work full-time for at least a year, there's an outside chance that provision could be made for you if you can be approved for Carer's Leave (tied to DSP's carer's allowance).

This leave type comes under statutory provision, and may be treated differently (it is for some other things).

It might be a long shot, but there's no harm checking with Garda Civ HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tiredofthis

Does the full-time for a year apply only to AGS? When I joined the Civil Service in 1998, I worked part-time for the first couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CivilServiceNew

I shall wait until garda vetting comes back and discuss with HR then. Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CivilServiceNew

Thank u so much. I am on carers allowance. Waiting on garda vetting to be approved so I'm best waiting until that's confirmed before asking HR

• Advertisement
Advertisement