Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carer's Allowance Review

• 28-02-2023 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody knows the criteria that the Dept. of Social Protection use for reviewing one's eligibility for Carer's Allowance? I've been receiving C/A for the past number of years as I'm caring for a family member with dementia. It's a 24/7, 365 day a year job. I had to give up a secure pensionable job to do it, as the only other alternative was for my relative to leave their familiar home surroundings and enter a care home.

I recently received a letter from the DSP stating that my Carer's Allowance was under review and that I was required to furnish them with personal details. Failure to do so within 14 days would result in my C/A being terminated. The tone of the letter seemed quite confrontational and not particularly amiable. I don't have anything to hide but the intrusiveness of the questions are grating - from asking me if I have taken up part-time work (impossible) to how much cash I currently have in my pocket, to the IBAN number of my bank account. Another question being asked is if my care recipient still requires full time care and attention. As far as I know, there's been no documentation of anybody ever recovering from dementia so that's an automatic "Yes" on the form.

I'd like to know if this is just a random query from the DSP or is there another reason behind it? I find it irksome that I'm being made to fill out this form when, in actual fact, I'm probably saving the Government money by looking after my family member at home and not having them taking up a place in a nursing home. Since I started caring, I've suffered mentally and physically from the stress and isolation of it all, and I can provide full medical documentation to prove it. Funnily enough, there's no space on the form for that sort of information.

I'm writing at this time because I don't have any spare time during the day to do so. Thanks for any information/answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Hi

I can understand how, considering how busy and stressed you are, you are finding this development very annoying, bordering on insulting.

There have to be conditions imposed on SW payments because that’s just the nature of these things.

For carers allowance the conditions are that the carer is the person caring for the caree full time, that the person who they are caring for actually needs full time care, that the carer financially needs the payment.

In the years since you first were awarded this payment any of these conditions could have changed.

You could have stopped caring for your parent and somebody else who wasn’t claiming carers has moved in and is now doing the caring.

Maybe you have become ill or disabled yourself and are no longer able to care. You may have started a course of education or volunteering with a charity and no longer be caring full time.

You could have come into a lot of money. An inheritance. A lottery win. An insurance pay out. A pension. Enough money that would mean you didn’t need the allowance any more.

Any of these things could have happened and SW would not know about it, and maybe you didn’t think that you needed to inform them.

So this is SW just checking in with you and giving you an opportunity to tell them of any changes in your circumstances which may affect your entitlement.

I know you fully agree that only people who meet the conditions should get the payment.

You find the wording confrontational but this is necessary so that claimants don’t misunderstand and think that responding is optional.

I hope this helps.

Can you claim carers for a couple of days in the week. I look after my parents for two days a week !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No you can’t. The caree must need full time care and attention and the carer must be giving full time care and attention. 2 days is not full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sometimes the tone of these letters can seem intrusive and abrupt and are probably just a standard template.

There seems to be a lot of reviews being carried out - not just for Carer's Allowance but for other payments also. It's probably a random selection and I wouldn't take it personally. You've nothing to hide so I would return the form with a little note stating you found the construction of the form a little curt.

Looking after someone with dementia is hard and you don't need DSP hassling you. Best of luck.

Advertisement