Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Benefit after maternity leave

Options
  • 28-02-2023 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm currently expecting my second child, due in June. I'm working part time at the moment and have already have a four year old son with special needs (we're recieving DCA for him & incapacitated child tax credit, he's also in an early intervention preschool).

I was thinking of taking time off to care for my four year old after the new baby comes, I wouldn't qualify for carers allowance as we are over the "means" through my husbands salary. (which is an absolute joke in itself but not the point of my post!)

Would anyone know if I'd be entitled to carers benefit after maternity benefit ceases? I've been reading I'd have to be employed for 8 weeks before I took the carers benefit, which I would be but I'd be on leave, would it make a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The fact that you are on maternity leave means that you are considered as being the same as in full time work. So you should be entitled to carers benefit on the cessation of your maternity benefit as long as you meet all the other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoreenB

That's great, thanks.

I was thinking the same myself, but was half afraid to break the news to my boss that I'd be out for a year and a half before confirming some sort of entitlement.

Appreciate you getting back to me on it too. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Dont forget you accumalated holidays and public holidays all the time you were on maternity leave and you’re entitled to ask him if you can take them. You could then apply for the carers benefit immediately to follow that.

There’s also Parents Benefit to be taken into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoreenB

Thanks, the plan is to take the maternity benefit for the 26 weeks, then take the annual leave and public holidays from my employer and then do the carers, then when returning to work from carers take accumulated holiday and bank holiday from that time before returning to work.

Now to find any sort of adequate childcare for a child with special needs outside of school hours will be the next hurdle...

Advertisement