Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland from Uk, am I entitled to any benefits?

• 28-02-2023 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

For a bit of context , I'm an Irish citizen and I've been living and working in London for seven years. I am diagnosed as bipolar and due to a combination of factors, mainly a downswing in my mental health, which has led me to be really struggling in my line of work (social care) and the cost of living increases in London, I feel I can no longer continue to live in the UK and will be returning to Ireland soon.

I'm just wondering if I might be entitled to any benefits when I return? I've had a look on Citizens Advice website and it mentions a HRC (Habitual Residence Condition) , has anyone any experience with this process and have any advice?

Would I be entitled to any disability payments as I have a disability? I want to return to work, but I'm just at a very low ebb at the moment and there are not many opportunities for work where I will be initially returning to. It is very rural area and I will have no car. I'm just wondering would I be entitled to anything to tide me over until I can get back on my feet, as I have very little savings.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement