Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which of these laptops for my elderly mother

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am several people's elderly mother and I use a laptop. It happens to be a Lenovo - I've had it about 5 years, and I am not overwhelmingly impressed, but it does the job.

If she is a touch typist and the keyboard is like this one it is very aggravating as it is off to one side - maybe because of the number pad that I never use - it took me ages to learn to 'find' the keys comfortably. That's not an issue of being elderly though, its more to do with familiarity with a keyboard. My suggestion would be to have as few bells and whistles as possible, keep it simple and what she is used to.

A 17" screen is quite big and could make the laptop heavy, will she hold it on her lap? She might find it heavy to lift aside, its amazing how heavy things become as you get older.

Is the power button set apart from the keys, its too easy to accidentally hit it when it is tidily disguised as a key.

I realise that most people will be talking about speed and processing power, but in fact you might find that these practical aspects might be more relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

neither but the acer is the better of the two if its only those options. you'd get much better value in that price range via the dell outlet but they can be awkward to deal with if you still have to buy over the phone (which is ridiculous in this day and age)

having bought a cheap laptop for my own mother a year or two ago, dont be sucked in by a low price as it most likely will be false economy, even out of the box my mothers laptop was painfully slow. if it wont be used for much more than what you described a tablet may offer better value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thankyou both for the helpful replies and all noted.

I just pushed the button on this

€100 off, free delivery and a further 5% off via Student Beans = Total €569. Little bit over budget but worth it I hope.

Advertisement