Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5g router

Options
  • 01-03-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Last time I looked 5g routers were quite expensive when compared to 4g (I currently have a B535-232). Has anyone done some recent research or purchased a reasonably priced 5g router that they are happy with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What you call reasonable price?

Are you looking for brand new or second hand would do?

e.g https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=zte%20MC

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=CPE%20pro

In my case 5G is x2 worse than i have 4G so... no not at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I did see one posted on another thread on boards. Not sure if it's usable in Ireland. Seems on the cheap side?

https://www.router-switch.com/china-unicom-5g-cpe-vn007.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Oh hadn't noticed it wasn't available.

I would not mind to pay 200-300, but thing is that its not giving any benefit to me, in fact its worse . For some other - perhaps, but its per case testing. If you cant get good 4G, 5G is less likely. YMMV

Your B535 is bit weak as for today tech. Still should be able to pull good speed , providing conditions are right. What you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

Odd that you get worse speeds, you must be very far away from 5G masts. Have you tired different providers with 5G?

My 5G speeds were worse in comparison to 4G on nearly all providers but that was like a year ago i tested but three had great speeds. Seems every tower when i run cell mapper on my phone has 5G now.

Yes, me on three and 4km from their nearest mast. This where 5G was failing to compete with 4G, even with external antenna. ~200/40(4G) vs 100/40(5G)

I do have Eir(meteor, tested) + VF mast just ~600m away that would server well for 5G with either. Problem is their FUP. With my usage i get "grounded" after 2-3 days as i exceed FUP limit, where with three i can go for 1TB+ a month without a peep.

On other hand, for last 4 weeks my DL speeds with three dropped by 50% and i just had no time to investigate if this is them limiting me, just summer coming (foliage, etc) 😉 or my hardware degrading.

I have two separate connections(router+antenna) and both dropped speed in same manner - i guess its foliage...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on how you're operating you may end up on one NR carrier instead of several LTEAs. Fake numbers: Think 60+60+60+60 vs 80.

For the moment 5G is just a nice to have, build a really good 4G setup and you'll be flying. I've done 800Mb on 4G alone, plenty for any home.

800! wow

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭martco

very similar to OP

my situation is gaff with teenagers + I'm working from home during the day now as well. I'm caught in a crappy old pocket of Dublin that will only ever have 80mb VDSL at best...years of promising but fibre never happen (got speaking to the last network survey guys that were around the area and I know exactly why it'll never happen too) result is I can only ever choose between Eir or Voda and I'm sick of watching the bill escalating for a just ok service.

so was thinking the way out is get unlocked 5G router for the gaff throw a sim only in and ditch the wire and maybe get some future flexibility in too

there's a reputable fella on a local adverts in ie website selling what is apparently one of the best home/smb routers you can buy at this time for what looks like very very good price.

I'd go for it BUT the thing I'm trying to understand (and I know there's loads of environmental factors so apart from that) is what SIM exactly am I looking for?

Eir advertise their billpay 5G sim-only as "No Limits 5G Data"...which sounds like a false advertisement given there's fair usage policy of useless 120GB? (600-900GB is I think the average joe monthly household these days lol)

3 have a payg "3 Prepay 20" one which I think means I could run this router on that and achieve a result for €20pm (just have to remember to topup)

any of ye know your way around the 5G SIM's on offer in this country?

which one is best bang for buck 5G data sim today?

ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

A unlocked 5G Phone will tell you where inside or outside your house the best signal can be got money & unlimited service 3 is the best but if you only get one bar of signal from 3 in your aera you will have to try another provider,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

What's is the best 5G router to get at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

If you want to take your chances with customs this looks good value if they send it with out its box only bubble wrapped you might stand a good chance. NEW Original Unlock ZLT X21 5G CPE Indoor router Sub 6GHz NSA+SA mesh wifi wireless modem 5g router with sim card Gigabit router|3G/4G Routers| - AliExpress

Advertisement