Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options
  • 01-03-2023 12:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning and welcome to Spring 2023.

A cool but bright morning here in Meath just had a brief light rain shower.

I would like this Spring to stay relatively dry, infact I would like the current dry theme to stay until 1st week of September but we are probably due a wetter than average period at some point during this Spring, just hope it doesn't kick off for the summer instead.

I would like to think the final weeks of Spring will have some nice sunny days with temperatures reaching the low 20s at times.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Here the Met E forecast for Sunday:

Sunday: A cloudy day throughout on Sunday with a light southerly breeze. Later in the day the winds will strengthen a little ahead of a band of rain moving in from the southwest. Highs of 7 to 9 degrees.

.... and the chart

‘a band of rain moving in from the SW’ ? southerly breeze lol !

Surely its mid week before anything moves in from the sw?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Taking what comes is the way forward.... and the scientific way. And more than coping and yes adapting to the weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A cool but dry March would be a good one for me, but what would make it great would be still conditions. I dislike the wind more than rain.

Thanks for the more detailed charts on the T120 thread Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

Looking at the latest charts for next week I think spring may be on hold for a while....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Listening to the forecast on the radio before 8am this morning, can I just be the first to say:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Same pattern all week, showery cold rain walking the kids to school in the morning, slightly better in the afternoon. Had enough.

Looking at my station yearly chart though, theres hope, we are in the steady uptrend now:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see Met Eireann mentioning the possibility of Sleet and Snow showers next week for some.

Well, somehow a miniature daffodil and a hyacinth have emerged in the garden out here so it is definitely spring..

And very very still all the last while which is most unusual out here but very welcome..

Things are looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Whatever happens next week, I'm just loving this week. Perfect weather for me. Cold, calm and still with wonderful visibility. I live near mountains and I could look at them forever when clearly etched as they are right now, very calming. They're usually shrouded in mist here in Kerry. I'm also loving the cloud cover. Sunshine is wonderful in summer but can be a nuisance this early with the sun still so low. For once I'm very happy.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭White Clover

Hopefully wintry weather doesn't appear next week. It has been great weather for lambing ewes but most lambs will be born in March. Bad weather and young lambs is not a good combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I do love this dry crisp weather too. I have no issue with the cloud cover either because it's still bright. The birds are starting to get very active too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭esposito

Miriam on PT just said we’re due snow next week. It must be happening so 🤣

Another peaceful night into morning. Chill and still. And dry. Perfection...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

5⁰ Meath

Cool (though doesnt feel that cold), overcast, calm morning.

The difference the milder still weather has made to the garden is lovely. Green shoots everywhere. and a couple of hyacinths as well as the daffodil...

Long may it last and let spring spring..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭pauldry

There'll be a grand stretch in the evenings if the sun ever shines again. Have had about 2 hours since Sunday. 2 weeks ago it was getting dark at 6pm now it's getting dark before 6pm due to cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think it feels so cold today, whatever it is about it just seems to be chilling me to the bone if outside.

Dreading this upcoming cold spell because its predicted to have a strong enough wind chill which will make it feel a lot colder than it is.

I know... We will endure! Out here there are no real trees even... I got told off on the winter thread for saying it was cold...by townies... lol...

Around seven am here my first early walk for a long while. Along the lanes by my home, with one cat following... checking the growth of leaves and shoots... gazing at sky and ocean... A lovely beneficent morning. Spring! Gentle and gray but mild and not a malice in it.

And signs of spring everywhere.

This will be a daily pleasure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Very calm for local parkrunners in the park this morning. Cold and overcast.

3⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I hate what is done to the mountains and the effects on nature every chance some people get to set fire to it. The damage done by sheep grazing to nature is staggering. Hopefully the next area to be challenged bringing about rewilding of large tracts of land in the country.

Bring on the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Had some guests over from US and Australia this week. All commented on just how grey it is here. appalling light the last few weeks. Have seen so little sun. Another cloudy cold day today. Spring hurry up some brightness and some mild weather would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another nice day,light winds. been a great week. Place very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What part of the US? Can’t imagine it’s any greyer than a lot of the US this time of year.

First birdsong at 6.47 am... Lovely to hear it in the dawn gloaming

Nice bright sunshine today first time in what seems like ages and the edge thankfully gone off the breeze. Seems like the “event” for next week has also been downgraded so perhaps spring can arrive soon.

I love this dry weather. Bone dry. The level of light is fine for me too. Great to be able to dry clothes outside too.

Wait until the rain and wind returns...you'll beg for a high pressure like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Same. No point in being too greedy in Ireland. If we can get the sunshine and warmth in the summer I'll happily take a cold sunless winter and early spring once the rain and wind stay away. Alas, it rarely works out that way, but I really find nothing to complain about in this current weather, it's still only early March. And it's fab walking weather.😀

• Advertisement

Correct it's only early March!

The roads are full of people cycling and walking. So pleasant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement