Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Met Eireann latest: THURSDAY and FRIDAY: Mainly dry with sunny spells and moderate to fresh east to southeast winds. Highest temperatures of 12 to 17 degrees, mildest in the west.

They most definitely aren't February, early March temperatures. A little above normal for mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That was a lovely day in Galway. Got quite hot out in the noon sun. Some drizzle in the afternoon but it was very pleasant. More of the same please.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Had the BBQ up and running today, just barely hit 20c in the back garden, Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Met eirreans highest temperature contrast today and my closest station had the highest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shocked reading the thread with the 20 degrees! I was prepared to say it was pleasant today in cork city, but nevermind haha. About 13-14 degrees and cloudy, but it was dry... But also quite humid so when walking around the air felt very heavy!

Certainly none of the sun or 20°c ye had up the country today, only got slightly sunny this evening before clouding over again, and is slightly foggy now

Looks similar tomorrow, with some showers expected I believe and about 13 degrees :(

Spring following winter so far in being disappointing down here.

December and January - no snow down here but we did get the heavy rain version instead! February wasn't too bad but not the best. March - would rather forget that month even happened and now April, while drier then march, has been awfully dull bar about two days! Hopefully things improve! Otherwise it's been a depressing few months down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

I knew it wasn't as nice here in North County Dublin.

Don't great me wrong the 17 degrees was very pleasant but when people were saying it was 20 and 21 degrees I was starting to think my body was stuck in freezing mode and couldn't warm up😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fog is clearing in Cork and fancy that, the weekend is over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To answer my ponder on how often Ireland has had the first 20C/21C (70F) before the UK like we did yesterday, it has happened only twice since 1961 for 20C. 2010 is the only time 70F has happened first in Ireland, another cool fact about that amazing year 😏

Ireland: 23rd March

UK: 3rd April

Ireland: 10th April

UK: 11th April

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If the UK doesn't get a 20C today, I think it could be at least another week or more before they do. Currently 17C is the warmest temperature there in the far north-western corner of Scotland. As for us today is mild but we certainly won't be seeing 20C today as temperatures are already starting to slide away slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Scotland has achieved it, 20.1C at Kinlochewe. Second year in a row Scotland has gotten the first 20C before England. Ireland one day before like 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went swimming in Garryvoe yesterday…thinking it was going to be dull alright but not quite so foggy….also, my feet were freezing!!!! Photo of Garryvoe Hotel looking like a haunted mansion below 😄

Sun has decided to come out in cork city this evening at last! About 12 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hey folks, first time posting in here. I've read the charter but apologies mods if this is inappropriate. Didn't want to spin up a new thread either.

Tldr; we've an outdoor family event planned in south Dublin this Saturday afternoon 22nd April with about 50 guests invited. I've been stalking met.ie for the past few days and the outlook for this coming weekend has gotten worse and worse.

My questions if I may:

1. How accurate are the forecasts today for Saturday? What's the likelihood of it not being as bad (or possible worse 😭 ) than what's forecasted.

2. By which day this week would the forecast for Saturday be more realistic/potentially accurate?

3. Any of the weather experts here care to give their take on the weather for Saturday.

We are 50/50 at the moment considering postponing it.

Thanks in advance for any inputs and apologies again if I'm misusing this forum/thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful clear night in Kerry after the cloudy day, not bad getting up to 16.5C, bit of a breeze made it feel a bit cooler but great weather nonetheless.

10.1C atm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From Met Eireann tonight: Further outlook: The weekend has a high degree of uncertainty although there is an increased chance of rainfall and generally more unsettled conditions.

No expert OREGATO but I would say it is very hard to know at this stage but from looking through all the models they are suggesting a fair chance of a cloudy damp day at best, possibly wet in the east and on the cooler side if the ECM and GFS models verify . Weak area of LP up against a large area of HP, fractured Jet near or over us so difficult to know will the Hp or Lp win out and will it rain or not and how much, better idea Weds or Thurs I would think .

So I feel it could be cloudy and there is a fairly strong chance of some rain, models suggesting temps in the East around 9C to 11C or 12C at a push a bit further inland maybe and if the breeze comes in from the E or NE it would probably have a cooling effect. Even if the HP blocks the Lp it could still be cloudy and on the cooler side and with some bit of dampness.

Just my tuppence worth , best of luck with your plans , maybe others will have different views.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A nice sunny afternoon here in Meath but there is no warmth left, that east wind would cut you in two and temperature back down to 10C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

glorious in the midlands.

sun out and its warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wall to Wall sun here in carrick, hopefully it keeps up 17c

Partially sunny in Cork City. Feels slightly warm in the sun, about 12 degrees at the moment. Better then the greyness of the last few weeks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Easily the best day of this year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭US3

Gin blue skies since sunrise in limerick, lovely strong breeze too.

Lovely day in Kerry and cleared up to fine blue skies from the afternoon. A fair breeze in open ground at times but didn't stop me going around the place in short sleeves until early evening. Out walking this evening near the coast and breezy, cooling down now to 9.5C and expected to go right down to 5 or 6C around my area near Tralee overnight.

Cooler tomorrow but should get up around 14C or so in Kerry, parts of the country just getting up to 11 or 12C

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fantastic around here in this weather. I would not complain if this was a recurring theme during summer. I appreciate if you live on the East Coast you may have a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for the reply @Meteorite58 We're a few days closer now and Met's outlook has changed several times. It looks like there's a chance of rain on the day but not torrential downpours, I presume that by tomorrow (Thursday) the weather forecast will be a bit more accurate?

Thanks for sharing the charts, I'm not sure where to generate them myself and the met.ie website doesn't have as much details - is there any chance you could give an update on your thoughts on Saturday? I think it's helpful to understand the logic and explanation behind the forecast like what you and others on this forum do.

Appreciate it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭pauldry

Might not be huge amounts of rain but we won't see any more 20c in late April or early May. That period looks cooler than average.

Temperatures will struggle to get above 15C over the next 2 weeks. This is why I really don't like SSW's after final week of January. We miss the opportunity for an affect in February and often doesn't arrive till late March or early April before any effects are truly felt which results in a fairly cool and chilly Spring like the one we are getting this year. The SSW in 2018 happened a few weeks earlier than this years and we just about made it in time for the Beast from the East/Storm Emma.

We are now entering a fairly cool 1 to 2 weeks, I hope this is the end of the affects of the SSW and we can get on with much warmer temperatures from mid May onwards.

Better than expected getting up to 16.9C here out by the coast in Kerry, cool breeze though but grand for pottering around and cleared up nicely giving some good sunshine in the afternoon.

You will find plenty of charts on Meteociel, including the high resolution that will start coming into play shortly. No model is 100% accurate, better to get an average of a couple of charts perhaps.

Still looking damp for Saturday, hard to know how much , slack area of LP with slow moving occluded front, might get away with some dampness / light drizzle or light rain depending on position but could also give a bit more prolonged rain. Easier to predict the faster moving fronts from deeper systems as they sweep through, this kind of occluded front can be very slow moving or even stall but looks like a fair chance of some rain in the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Lovely blue skies and sunny but a wind that would skin you. Great drying but too breezy and cold for it to be pleasant for me anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement