Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hailstones North East Wicklow

That first grass cut of the year will have to wait 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A real mix of weather across the country today from clear skies in Kerry to cloud and rain at Knock and back to nice weather at Donegal Airport .

A thunderstorm or 2 cant be ruled out either today further south

EIKY 220900Z VRB02KT CAVOK 08/07

EIKN 220900Z 01007KT 8000 -RA OVC042 06/05 Q1005 NOSIG

EIDL 220900Z 04012KT CAVOK 11/04 Q1007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny spells in Cork City this morning, making the most of it to clean up the garden a bit more, grass is soaked though so cant cut it! Still very muddy from the march rain too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very wet here today. Parts of the North or West could see 30mm of rain today as the band seems to have stalled somewhat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting lucky here in Meath and avoiding all the rain to my north and to my south, ground still dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Your very lucky Gonzo, horrible here in North Meath. Torrential spell of rain last night and persistent moderate rain since early morning and no let up in sight. I can see on the radar you are just on the borderline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it caught up with me eventually, raining heavy for the past half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Just cool and very dull here. Really has been a crap spring so far. We’ve had a couple of what I’d call good days and the rest of the time it’s been raining cold or both. Like it’s April 22 today you’d hope things are getting better.

Unfortunately more of the same to come, the next few weeks is looking rather mixed but we may get the odd dry day here and there.

April will definitely finish up the coolest month of the year so far in terms of temperature anomalies after a very mild January, February and March.

Thanks Gonzo very disappointing but hardly surprising to hear that. We really have a short period for actual proper good weather and to me April and May can’t be counted as that time. The May bank holiday has had several washouts in my memory maybe Syran can confirm?

• Advertisement

I remember April/May 2021 being one of the coldest combinations on record. April last year was very decent, I remember having lunch outside most days. May started off nice but went pear shaped fairly quickly and a poorish June followed, but then July and August were mostly very warm to hot and dry. The best April/May combination I can remember in a long time was the covid lockdown period in 2020. This was then followed by a trainwreck of a summer at least for Ireland while the UK did alot better. The April/May period can vary alot from year to year from almost winter like to proper summer warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

An unexpected bonus day of glorious hazy sunshine here in Achill. It often feels like we are in a parallel universe when it comes to the weather here. One of the rare days in which this worked to our advantage. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Shocking day Meath for family gathering. All indoors.

Friend sent photo from Tramore. Beautiful sunshine there.

What a contrast.

If this was 2 months ago we would be up to our knees in snow as today would have been a snowmaker. Sadly it's nearly May so it's just cold, wet and miserable instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭compsys

How can you say the next few weeks looks mixed? I mean, we can barely forecast a week in advance - especially in Ireland. I don't know how you think we can forecast that there'll only be a few dry days in May...just because it's raining today doesn't the rest of spring is a write off...

All stations are reporting temps well above average so far. We've three cold days coming up. Then it warms up next weekend to around 16º. In terms of anomalies, April may well end up warmer than March...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Back today after a few days of beautiful warm sunshine in Barcelona. It was grim in Rathfarnham, the car read 7 degrees around 6. Awful.

I think the weather forecast has been all over the place the past few weeks in particular from all my sources, even just a day in advance they can’t seem to call in accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rained for most of day just to the SE of me but not a drop here. Bit of sun this evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stopped raining in Meath Lovely calm cool foggy morning. I could use the garden today. if it was yesterday, for the family gathering. I spent all week tending to the garden for Saturday LOL

4⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rained all day yesterday in Leitrim. Dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Stunning blue skies and all day sunshine yesterday in NW Donegal, not that lucky today heavy showers bucketing down atm.

Dull overcast and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Quite a nice Sunday , light winds with spells of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Decent day in East Cork, cool for the time of year with the breeze but spells of sunshine and dry so can't complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what's going on in spain atm? could break april records and hit 39c in seville in the next few days. my folks spend about half the year in murcia and it hasn't rained since they got there in january, crops are screwed in the region, a lot of the veg we eat comes from there. they already have had summer temps for a few weeks. i honestly wouldn't buy property in some parts of spain the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was a nice morning/ early afternoon here in NCD.

Then rain arrived later on but at keast we could get out and about unlike yesterday.

Tomorrow is looking very cold for time of year, max of only 8 or 9 degrees.

Most recent gfs doesn’t see me getting in to double digits until Saturday evening. Big contrast across the country for 2pm Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Wow! a huge KP8 severe G4 class geomagnetic storm broke out earlier. Auroras seen as far south as Slovakia/Austria, maybe more.

Unlucky to be a tad early for us here. Anyone see anything? It's mad, we've had several outbursts recently that ended up being fairly large and caught me sleeping!

EDIT: Just checked the satellite, didn't cop how cloudy it got this evening over much of the island. Of course!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Never seen anything like it earlier, has eased off now and after getting windy here in Kerry. Might be good again tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Great pics. Cloudy here, sickening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement